Saturday, October 20, 2018

Visiting the University of York campus/Carlos Pueblo


Visiting the University of York campus/Carlos Pueblo

The main campus of the University of York is located outside of the
City Center. I had marched twice toward the campus and made it on
the second attempt. One morning, I walked toward the City Center
on Micklegate Street across the Ouse Bridge and down a park on the
river bank. There are seats arranged in the park for visitors, as a matter
of fact, the park is designed to be a buffered zone for flood out of the
river. We’re on the same side of the ancient Romans Castle. There is
an unique brick house attached to the bridge like an old guard barrack
and served as a restaurant nowadays. I followed a sign of the University
direction according to my strength of daily march. I was lost somewhere
among residential areas and turned back to a part of the city Wall. On
the next morning, the hostel manager pointed it to me to the same
direction and I made it after several asking on the streets. It is called
Heslinton, York, an uphill highland outside of the city wall.

Most visitors would take bus or driving to the campus; however, I had
had plenty of time to enjoy my visit. Various departments and colleges
buildings are split around a long lake. There is a shopping center inside
the campus to provide residents daily needs. I followed the pedestrian
paths between buildings with three or more crossing to the lake. Buildings
are far apart from each other in a beautiful landscape campus arrangement.
I walked into the international students house for a cup of onion soup in a
freezing rain morning. I kept on walking to see huge groups of seasoning
birds, swans, geese. ducks, and some unknown gathering on the banks
ground of the lake. Finally, I made a turn at the end of the lake. An old
brick building called Heslinton College, the original one and is still in
function. In front of it, there is an unique Silent Woods Park with plenty
of tall trim bushes.

I always admire the university. The university of a nation can show the
strength of the national education effort; therefore, I can foresee the
outcome or the future of that nation. I have regretted very much that
I didn’t fully utilize my opportunity of studying at college. Of course, I
make some excuses yet I still love to visit the university everywhere I
go.





No comments: