Sunday, October 21, 2018

Leisure visit of York City Center/Carlos Pueblo


Leisure visit of York City Center/Carlos Pueblo

The City of York is a historical compact of the British Empire as I
have described previously, the Romans remains of the York Castle
Park, museum, courts, and city hall area, etc., the Viking era of the
Jorvik Center adjacent to it; the Medieval European Streets, the
Shambles Market, and the distinguish Minster Cathedral and the
garden park next to it. Of course, the old Castle Walls and Gates
after thousands years, etc.

Usually, I walk down to the Micklegate Street from my hostel toward
the York Castle direction. At the first, I would reach to a Market area
now I know is the Shambles on the left or to the right of the York
Castle Area where I was anxious to visit. Then, gradually I was attracted
to the eatery sets of the river bank, the River of Ouse, on both directions
across the Ouse Bridge. I had marched toward a river bank park twice on
my way to the University of York Campus and walked once toward another
direction through streets by the river and witness the City Cruise traffic
on the river.

I had had meals at several sandwich restaurants at a square center near the
Shambles. There is a narrow street called Shambles Street starts with a small
chapel with about 6 feet wide brick layer full of visitors. It is also a site of the
famous movie, Harry Potter. The busy street can reach to the King’s Square
and the mighty Minster Cathedral. I walked to those destinations on a rainy
afternoon and reached to the Yorkshire Museum and the Museum Garden.

The Minster is unique and brings back my lovely memory of visits of the Notre-
Dame Cathedral on the Seine in Paris, France; the Reims Cathedral south of
Paris; and the Barcelona Cathedral, etc. all the European great churches. Even
In the rain, the Museum Garden was still lovely and there is an old Roman
Ruin on site.

I did have two marches on the ancient walls surround the city. They are well
maintained by the city. I started from Micklegate Bar nearby, visited the gate
house and one toward the train station and one toward the other direction
toward the river bank park to the York Barbican Center. The walls have been
interrupted by rivers with several gates with significant historical memory,
such as the Monkgate of Richard III, a guard house gate on Museum Street
Lendal Bridge, etc. One day, I came back from the Minster and ran into a
Chinese restaurant to have a hot beef noodle.




No comments: