Sunday, October 14, 2018

Returning visit to Oxford, England/Carlos Pueblo


Returning visit to Oxford, England/Carlos Pueblo

A little bit more than 3 years since I had had a one day visit of Oxford,
England, I decided to re-visit the city again. It’s about one hour train ride
with one transfer from Bristol across the farmland of England. Now I know
that I can reach Bath Spa, another Roman Ruin, by train instead of bus only.
At the transferring station, I saw a huge power plant not far away, I thought
that was a nuclear power due to the shape of cooling towers like the Three
Miles Island. Actually, it is a plant powered by the natural gas and built by
the General Electric. This time I got off from the rail station connected
immediately to the City Center as well as the various Colleges of Oxford.

I mentioned a girl from Hong Kong, Cookie whom I ran into at the hostel in
Bristol to the manager. Before finding a job at Bristol, she worked at the
same hostel. The manager remembered her and thought that she went to
Spain instead. Cookie has a two years working visa after finish her degree
In Hong Kong and comes to England to improve her English; however, she
complains that she rarely speaks to regular British instead of foreigners and
she also feels Oxford is too small.

I had run into the internet connection issue immediately. I need the free WiFi
in order to do my daily routine, checking e-mails , managing my payments,
listening to YouTube, and checking my time, etc. The manager recommended
one of her staff to help me. This young man, Louise, is a computer expert started
from playing computer games and familiar with the software. I was watching him
checking step by step with a help of his notebook. It took overnight to get it
connected and failed again within 24 hours. I could feel the anxiety and suddenly
I made up my mind to change my schedule and cut short my trip by two months.
I used a desk top computer at the hostel to book a last budget flight back to Austin
on 09/25/2018 and two cities stay, York and Newcastle, for the rest of my itinerary.
I prepared to face a life without internet connection from then on. Fortunately, the
lab top went back on connected without his additional work when he checked on.
I showed my appreciation of him to the manager and she said that they were fortunate
to have him on the staff. He was from St. Vincent of the Caribbean.

Oxford is a college town with unique combination of academic, commercial, and
residential combination. Visitors all over the world are flooded in to visit. I have
circled the city several times and also marched outside of the city limit several
times, twice to a suburban parks and twice to a park of swan by a river.

  

No comments: