Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Visiting Birmingham, England/Carlos Pueblo


Visiting Birmingham, England/Carlos Pueblo

Birmingham is located on the east of Manchester at the heartland
of England. Several years ago, I met Dr. Laow of the head monk of
a Thai Buddhist Temple at Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire at the
campus of the Oxford and very like to visit him. Birmingham is very
closed to his temple. Finally, after several e-mails exchange, I did
make my visit and he even took me to visit a Catholic Cathedral at
nearby Lichfield township. I also made to trip to visit to the township
of Rugby famous of the origin of Rugby sport and the Eton and Rugby
rivalry of ancient time. I also visited the campus of the University of
Birmingham. I have been very impressed of the city for its traditional
and contemporary set up city center.

During this trip in England, I decided to take train as my major needs
of transportation. It’s different from what I am used to travel among
Germany, Spain , or Japan. I need to purchase the pass outside of the
prospective nations in order to get the discount for foreigners. I bought
a senior pass good for one year because I am coming back in the spring
of 2019. Rail systems in U.K. are sublet to individual companies; therefore
the fares are various, expansive or cheap according to the time of travel
or advanced reservation. Because of my longer stay at one place and
the closer distance travel, I might come out a better cost overall.

Rural England is green and pretty. Because of fall season, I couldn’t see
clearly what the farmers grow but lambs, cattle, and horses, etc. I saw
hay rolls piled up on farms to save farming labor that I assumed. The
small train stations split out the field among cities. I had had ride between
Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Burton Upon Trent, etc. seeing some
factories still in operation. The train business is still very popular in
England.

Every morning, I would walk quite a distance from my hostel to the main
station passing by the Cathedral Park at the city center and coming back
from the train station then bought my grocery at markets closed by the
station. I could cook a meal at the kitchen and then met a young lady from
Malaysia who spoke Amoy language better than my adult children at home.
Pei-ven is an architect freshly graduated from Birmingham University and
going back to Ping Nang to work for her dad who owns a good size of a
construction business.   


No comments: