Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Visiting Newcastle, England/Carlos Pueblo


Visiting Newcastle, England/Carlos Pueblo

Pei-ven, my newly adopted daughter, recommended me visit Newcastle
while I stayed at York, England and I booked two nights instead. Her point
is that Newcastle has classical and contemporary combination of the U.K.
and is very lovely. I had experienced a hard time for my short train ride
from York to Newcastle due to a system down of certain routes that day
in England. I was alright in compare with a roommate’s overnight arrival.

When I was looking for my hostel, I passed by the Newcastle Castle area
Including the St. Nicholas Cathedral. I always have had a hard time when
I first arrive to a new city and find the location where I stay because I
solely rely on the commercial map for local business and sometime the
street map provided by the local city. In this city, I finally figured out the
street and the Grey’s Monument and located my hostel. I walked out to
the City Center after releasing my luggage. First visit was Laing Art Gallery
and then followed by the campus of the Northumbria University, an
university of polytechnic in compare with the traditional University of
Newcastle. After coming back to the main street where I entered the
campus, I saw the direction of the Grey’s Monument and the actual
City Center. There were people gathering on the square downhill to
the adjacent old Newcastle.

I went ahead walking to the Chinatown area to have my late lunch.
This is a two streets section of the old city with a Chinese Arch and
the old West Wall. In the entrance, there is a beautiful green with
a Chinese name post on it. During my stay, I had been there several
times for meals and passed by some additional times. One time for
lunch, I ran into a small Cantonese eatery and chatted with the owner
and her daughter. They were from Hong Kong and very friendly. The
younger daughter recommended me visit a market by the River Tyne
not far from the old Castle. I wish that I adopt her as my daughter next
time.

The University of Newcastle campuses are split around the City. I took
some photos of several colleges. The medical campus is on the northwest
part of the Civic Center, another popular square with a statue of one
significant figure. One morning, I marched toward an outer side of the City,
passing by a private university campus and a residential subdivision and
walked into a newer immigrants area with an Indian Sikh Temple and a
Buddhist Association Office down to a business street full of Asian
Immigrants.    

No comments: