Sunday, August 28, 2016

Watching whale from distance/Carlos Pueblo

Watching whale from distance/Carlos Pueblo

On the first morning, I had my morning walk on the 12th deck pedestrian path.
A young lady told me that she saw a lone whale faraway and I went down to
my stateroom to get my binoculars. Kathy is from Portland, Oregon, an expert
of whale watcher. I could see the blow far away yet my Canon still got it. It was
a humpback she indicated. Later, there was another expert joined us for watching.
This gentleman was equipped with telescopes, tripod, and wide angle camera.
They had exchanged their experience and shared with me, a beginner. The ship
was moving forward and the humpback was approaching while I could see the
black tail waving around.

This is a kind of leisure whale watching and is a bonus of cruise traveling yet not
that exciting. The cruise has whale watching excursion for a fee to get closer to look
this huge animal. It is a guarantee business now or you get your $100 back if you don’t
see the whale. Why? Because the business practice is to pre-feed the whales and then
get the vessel closer to look. It is a 2.1 billion U.S. dollars industry nowadays and employs
13,000 people while the traditional whale catch business dwindle to a merely 31 million
U.S. dollars and is the reason why we can still see whales on a cruise trip.

I often found people gathering on the window side of the restaurants to watch the whales
passing by in some cases very closed to the ship even waving at the ship and that is why I
feel like receiving a bonus on the cruise after room and board, transportation from port to
port, and entertainment every night.






No comments: