Sunday, August 28, 2016

Visiting Juneau, Alaska/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Juneau, Alaska/Carlos Pueblo

Juneau is the state capital of Alaska, a very clean and beautiful city. It looks
like surrounded by snow cape mountains with a huge lake, the Inside Passage.
Even though I have been to the city three times so far, I wish I could stay there
for weeks during the summer to see more of the nature of our world. Across
the city is the old gold mine town of Douglas Island where I have missed, I
swear that one of these days I shall visit eventually, it’s a bus ride only across
a bridge.

During the disembark, the city or the cruise provide shuttle buses continuously
to transfer passengers to the main street and back. We walked toward the Russian
souvenirs store to say hi to the owner, Olga from Sweden. Exactly three years ago,
we were on our stop from Jewel at the city and had had a very good conversation
with her, a tall nice pretty elegant lady owner. Amy bought a scarlet color wood
box for jewelry. All her inventory are from Russia, very precious and expansive. We
missed her by a few minutes according to her two young clerks, also pretty blonde.
I left my message and came back after a quick visit of the Mendenhall Glacier. She
was very kind to say that she remembered us and our back to back trip back to town,
we went to say goodbye and she reminded us to come back sooner next time. I was
told by our cruise shopping director about her. She was ill recently and her old store
was divided into two sections, one remains to her and the other half owned by her
daughter with the same specialty. Both of the pretty young clerks are her granddaughters.

We ran into a group of Taiwanese tourists in front of the city library where I went inside
for the internet usage. Their leader, a young lady, recommended us to take a city bus to
visit the Mendenhall Glacier. We walked to the nearby bus station and again met a U.S.
Coast Guard retiree. This senior explained what the coast guard business. I mentioned to
him that I had visited the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut he even
explained more in details. Coast guard business covers all over the world and he selected
Juneau for his retirement. The Glacier is under the jurisdiction of the National Forest
Service which accepted National Park pass. Stupid me that I forgot my wallet also forgot
to prepare my senior pass otherwise I could step on the real glacier that day. That day was
very warm 85 degree Fahenheit that I even saw someone dipping into the inner sea.

On our second visit on this back to back to the city, we had had a long hike along the Good
Creek to the last chance gold mine museum. A group of tourists were on their land excursion
to find gold on the creek. We followed the advice of the information center to take a wood
deck path back to the city limit, it was a project of an electrical company. After entering the
city limit, we passed by a very charming residential subdivision with beautiful garden on every
house, roses, peonies, and forget me not the State flower. Then we did pass by the Governor’s

mansion.

No comments: