Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Growing the Amaryllis/Carlos Pueblo

Growing the Amaryllis/Carlos Pueblo

Amaryllis blooming is coming to an end, pollinated flowers become seeds matured inside a small ball shape fruit. The ball shape fruit eventually would be popped and flake type of seeds will be fallen down to the ground or else where. Another way of the amaryllis reproduction is the bulb propagation in late autumn. I have chosen the later method for most of my amaryllis transplants. I feel that the growing from seeds may be a way for me to try from two front gardens of neighbors.

Each time when I dig into the ground to get the bulbs to be transfer plants, I always find some smal size bulb and suspect that is from the fallen seed. The seed is nurtured with water and sun shine becomes the sprout and a small bulb with a root and leaf ready to expand. That is what I hope it will work for me even though both lady owners promise to give me bulbs in the fall. Their amaryllis flowers are in jumbo sizes and adorable.

I had had my first amaryllis bulbs box almost 30 years ago from my neighbor. She taught me when to transplant. She used to have a very nice garden with these orange color flowers. I like flowers and have made some trans plants to two of my rental houses, Michelle's house in Austin, and moved to the Del Monte house about 7 and half years ago. Amaryllis is very easy to grow and can enjoy only about a week of blooming time, fortunately, they may come out continuously in the spring. Now, I have spread many seeds on the surface of available space in yard or neighbor's garden and expect every day for their arrival. Sometimes I feel that I ought to have an acre lot without tree to grow flowers yet I may not like it due to the intensive care of the gardening.

No comments: