Thursday, January 9, 2014

Walking on Kueiyang Street/ Charles Chuang

Walking on Kueiyang Street/ Charles Chuang It was almost at the end of my trip to Taiwan. I had had my fake teeth and had three eatery to go. One morning coming out of the immigrants’ center, suddenly I felt like to walk on Kueiyang Street where used to be my bike route to my senior high school on Hsinyi Road. I had to ride on a bike from the end of section 2 near by Dan Shuei River, passing all section 2 to the Presidental Palace, first girls senior high, to section 1 toward the end, the Vice President’s Official residence, and turned left to section 1, Hsinyi Road toward section 3. It was a very good 1 ½ hour ride. #1, section 2 was my aunt A Tsai’s three story townhouse. She moved out long time ago. She used to lease the first floor to Paramount Pictures. She was a tailor by trade. In 1945 after Japanese were defeated, she adopted two young sons from two Japanese fathers with two Taiwanese mothers. There is a historical park on the back of her old house. The city hall tried to restore a Buddhist temple built in 19 century, Nishi Honganji Taihoku. The temple restoration is yet to be completed. It had been occupied by the military garrison command since 1949. I went inside of the military museum next. There were photos of all battles since 1911 yet few are against the communists. Continue walking pass by the first girls Senior high school, mayor Ma’s anti- corruption avenue. This anti-corruption Avenue reminds Chinese, President Ma for instance, that the politicians in both Taiwan and China must come out clean. No prosecution from the courts does not mean you are clean and not corrupted. It is because that your party, your regime control the system of law. Passing through the anti-corruption avenue also need to remind Mayor Hou the scandal of flowers exhibition, again no prosecution does not mean you are clean. It only means you are in power. I entered the 228 Memorial Park, the old New Park at my time. 228 Memorial is for the memorial of 1947 massacre in Taiwan, 20,000 or more perished. I did not stay long to avoid the stress. I entered again to a museum to view the show of Manchurian lady gowns. These gowns can express the beauty of woman’s body. Exit from the park, there were still some sweet plume drink stands. Before reaching the main train station on South Chungking Road, there are still many bookstores with used books on sale. I did not look closely to them. It is a different time indeed.

No comments: