Thursday, January 9, 2014

Take trains to circle Taiwan(2)/ Charles Chuang

Take trains to circle Taiwan(2)/ Charles Chuang The train passes a beautiful Hwatong Valley which is one of the scenery of Taiwan. In 2008, we hired a guide who took us to Yuli, Hwalien and Changping , Taitong. It was more relaxing riding a train to go through the valley with much Of a joy. There are thousands mile long of fertile lands in the valley river stones divided small piece of land. The famous Kwansan rice which is exported to from this area. I thought Kwansan was a Japanese name similar to a brand of cherry blossom in Japan that I saw at the Tidal Basin in Washington,D.C. After coming back to Houston, an old man told me there was another town called Chisan, in front of a pond or Ikegami, Shinburo, also produced rice with Excellent quality. The name both in Chinese and Japanese looked Japanese to me. These two townships are worthy to visit. I lost my temporary seat after Taitong because the train was crowded with students returning to Kaoshiung. I ran into a tall pretty American girl between two carriages. This is S. Fae Larson from Minnesota. She teaches English at Chiayi nearby Taipao area. She visited a colleague in Hwalien during that weekend. She introduced me how her work started, a church organization in the U.S. recruited the teachers and provided the airfares to Taiwan and then, another Taiwanese charity foundation arranged the room and board, some spending money for a trip liked this, etc. Basically the teachers have no stipends. Every week, Chiayi public school authority would bus in about 30-40 10 years old to the school for a week English lesson. She knows some basic Mandarin like sit down, behave etc. One week English, of course, is not enough yet it is a start of learning for the kids in English in their life. I respect this kind of work which is called Christianity which many Christians so practice it. I was busy talking to her ignoring the scenery across southern part of Taiwan. I can come back again for another ride next time. We took a high speed rail train after New Kaoshiung station. She returned to Chiayi while I continued my trip back to Taipei and completed a trains ride to circle the island in a day.

No comments: