Saturday, January 4, 2014

Two eating engagement s with elementary classmates/ Charles Chuang

Two eating engagement s with elementary classmates/ Charles Chuang Huiwen, an old classmate, invited me for a dinner before he took off for Los Angeles residence. The restaurant which was chosen by our current class head, June Mer, located nearby Taiwan Normal University on East Hoping Road. He is a very successful business owner who manages medical equipment. He also mentioned that he had wine making product as well. There are many Second generation of Chinese immigrants in our elementary school, we do have different political opinions toward the future of Taiwan and yet I find that more and more people are more tolerance toward each other nowadays. I don’t talk about politics, of course this is not right. I liked to talk about managing the nation, about making the whole word more peaceful when I was at young age. Now, I think about learning the nature of things, utilizing my knowledge, morality, regulating my own family etc. It is not Taiwan independent but be watchful over myself when alone. I was surprisingly quiet at the dinner. I forgot to apology to him one thing which had been in my mind. At fifth grade, his mother arranged our 4th grade teacher, Mr. Chen, to tutor him arithmetic. Mr. Chen came from north Chiangsu Province while Huiwen’s parents were from Nanking, Chiangsu. He spoke a very heavy accent in Mandarin which I could not follow on the first day of my transferring from Puli, Nantou on the fall semester of the fourth grade. I was punished by spanking by Mr. Chen on the first day. It was all due to that I could not follow him. Later Mr. Chen became very nice to me and always encouraged me to work hard. I would accompany him to Mr. Chen’s apartment for the lessons. Mr. Chen liked to teach fifth and sixth grades level one day and he worked hard on that. Our arithmetic teacher was Mr. Huang who was well learned, and our class master was Mr. Shui. One day I was not behaving well and made my mother mad. I was severely punished By my father when he came back home. I was crying so loudly because of the painful Hitting which draw the neighbors’ attention. I was thrown to a small isolated storage Building. Then, Huiwen came to ask for me to the class and I refused to go because I did not want anyone to see my bleeding face. I didn’t know if the lessons continued Or not. Mr. Chen got throat cancer thereafter and deceased. I didn’t even have an opportunity to apology. We were at a different classroom when we were at the junior high. I went to study in Taipei for my senior high school while his father was promoted to the general manager Of Peikong sugar factory and they moved away from our home town. In 2009 when I Was back to Taiwan, we did have a brief exchange inside a restroom of the restaurant. I knew that he made a fortune in his business. Some of our old classmates followed him to purchase houses at Danshui, New Taipei City and made profit out of them. I hope that one day I can tell him how sorry I am and repay his generosity.

No comments: