Thursday, January 2, 2014

Return to my hometown Huwei/ Charles Chuang

Return to my hometown Huwei/ Charles Chuang After several trips in and out of Taiwan, I took the high speed rail back to Huwei , my hometown. In Taipei main station, the rail, high speed rail, and metro subway are all located in the same building very convenient for the passengers to get in and out of each service. First, I took the high speed rail to Taipao, Chiayi station, then took a connection bus to the back entrance of Chiayi rail station to get on a train north to Touliu, Yunlin, after that walked through a tunnel to the back to take a bus to Huwei about 7 miles away. From the stop at the Formosa University, I walked to my eldest sister Mary’s home, next to my brother Chung Fong’s home. The arrangement has been that I eat at sister’s house while sleep at my brother’s because that I can use the computer and she is a better cook. At Touliu bus, a young lady sit next to me with a mask covering her mouth. I asked her to remove her mask in order for me to see her pretty face. She did and told me that she was from Vietnam taking care of a senior in Tainan. She also gave me her name in Chinese, Tuan Shi Jing. She is 30 years old with two young children. She came to visit her younger sister also working as a senior servant at Paochung, Yunlin another township nearby Huwei. Tuan’s sister is 19 years old. I offered her my son to marry her sister, and she anxiously showed her photos on her i-phone. Since she worked so hard on the previous day, she could barely keep up the conversation with me. When the bus passed Huwei, she got worried because it didn’t go through Paochung. She got off with me at the next stop and walked away in confusion. I borrowed a bike to ride to the bus station to make sure she was right. She should get off there and take another bus to her destination. I called her on the next day and she remembered me and yet said that she needed to sleep. I never mentioned the match maker stuff again. There is a neighbor of my sister belonged to a Buddhist benevolent association. She always comes to visit us when I arrive. I brought her a famous autobiography of #6 Master Monk of Zen Buddhism, Hui-Nun. His legendary work on the golden diamond sutra. It was a free copy on a street alley nearby my rental house. I read it again and was ready for her questions. Two retired teachers also came to visit with my brother-in-law and touched with Buddhism, one of them called back to invite me to visit his monk teacher for sutra discussion. Mary and her husband are bothered by the continuously request of donation from the association which is the biggest benefactor in Taiwan. I twisted a piece of that sutra based on Buddha’s teaching. So called donation, actually is not donation, that is named donation. Buddha actually describes repeatedly on the book such as So called Bodhi-sattva, actually is not Bodhi-sattva, that is named Bodhi-sattva. In plan Language: if you donate yet not willingly, it is not a donation while you are Willingly to donate and yet cannot afford it is still considered as a donation. This is named donation. Buddhism is a philosophy of your life and the most important practice is to help the needed by donation. There are two clay courts at Huwei Senior High. One day it was cloudy and Rainy and the courts were wet. I turned back home on a bike and made a wrong turn on the North Linsheng Road. I came to old Mr. Wang’s residence , his wife told me he passed away in 2010 after the local elections which he Served as the chairman of the campaign for both mayor and county magistrate. I used his shower room after a morning tennis in 2009 stay. The day I left Huwei, my brother-in-law took me to visit a former colleague At Huwei Senior High who was also one of my student during my service In 1973-1974. He was a police officer before coming to work for the manager of the general affairs at the school. He used to be a body guard for two governors, one became the president of the Nation. The conversation is short yet very interesting.

No comments: