Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Take trains to circle Taiwan/ Charles Chuang

Take trains to circle Taiwan/ Charles Chuang I went to visit the Immigrants Center at Wanhwa again one day, the young staff discussed Taitong with me. This was one place where I still not having an opportunity to visit. He flipped his hand held i-phone and checked on the train schedule. He advised me take a train from Shuling early in the morning to Taitong directly, yet still needed to go to Taipei main station to make a transfer. It might be a question of my geographical knowledge problem I did not know why not taking the train from Taipei to Taitong. I arrived the main station and purchased a ticket for the 8 o’clock train. While I was waiting, an express train to Taroco, Hwalien arrived. I jumped on because That I knew Toroco closed to Hwalien and I could arrive there earlier to buy some gifts for my family. The train announced that passengers without the proper tickets should leave the train on next station to avoid the penalty, so I did. I chatted with another senior couple sitting on the branch on the Shunsan station platform. He introduced me Taitong and nearby Green Island, the old political prison during the martial law era. He recommended visit that island during the spring, March or April, to avoid the strong waves. At that moment another train to Hwalien came in to the station and I still liked to arrive that city early in order to purchase the gifts, so I jumped on. It was a wrong act again that that train stopped frequently during the ride and would arrive late in compare with my original purchased ticket. A fish woman told me her experience and she was very sure that I made a mistake. I chatted with her about fishing on the area between two carriages until she arrived Hsinkang, Ilan where she fished. Then, I ran into a couple of Korean seniors. Stopping at Hwalien, I did purchase some presents and a lunch box for myself, two fighter jets soaring over the train station. On my way to Taitong, I ran into a tall beautiful American English teacher, S. Fae Larson. I accompanied her to Chiayi high speed rail station and continued to Taipei that night to finish a train ride circle Taiwan. This fish woman who lives at Banchao, New Taipei City. Her husband left for the trip at Five that morning and I believed that she left at 6 am. Both of them are retired Government workers. On the previous day, she caught about 40 fishes and that was Why she came back again that day. I had had some fishing experience at Freeport, TX and I discussed fishing with her until her destination. That was a Sunday morning, there were many passengers, young and old, hiking on the hills. I asked some people who knew the area that the fishing sea front was Hsinkang, Ilan and across the hills would be Hsindien, the old highway to Ilan county which is one of the most beautiful hill country In Taiwan. There were a senior Korean couple get on to the train somewhere at Ilan stations. They Sit next to me and very nice to give me a small bag of Korean French fries. I was quite Hungry at that time. I attempted to speak Japanese to them in vain. Then I wrote Kanze On my note book and showed it to them. I said that Kimchee was very good at K-Mart Store. She asked her Korean guide what was about. She said that was a supermarket. There was a Mandarin speaking guide coming by. He defined my trip as a free style After I explained to him my itinerary. I rushed out of Hwalien station in order to purchase some presents for my family. There were two fighter jets roaring over the station with a huge supersonics. I was not quite sure there were F-16 or Mirage. I also wondered if Ma had surrendered to China, why bothered to train the air force? It is Hwalien Air Force Base where you can see the airfield from the train.

No comments: