Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Re-visiting Cambridge, England 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Re-visiting Cambridge, England 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Cambridge is located on the north of London and also as famous as Oxford for its University in the world of education. I came back to visit for its canal and river transportation which was recommended in Manchester by a well learned train conductor. I found the same river bank full of tourists floating on the river by a single man power boat with a stick. The scenery has been very famous in the spoken Mandarin literature by a known writer, the shadow of Cambridge. Many locals tell me that the waterway is not a canal yet a genuine river of a size larger than a canal. I did find ditches abandoned along the river. On the way back to my hostel, I passed by an area with regular architecture and the department of Chemistry of the University.

I went back to the same river bank to continue my march of the river; however, the pedestrian path was blocked by a women's college by a stone bridge. I didn't want to join a boat tour and turned away from the river instead. It was Sunday and college streets became active. A student directed me to some alley in a corner to find a hand written sign back to the river in order to by pass the campus and continued my march down stream. It is a lovely campus of the same college that blocks the path. A garden with pretty flowers is by a stone bridge with a girl student reading on a bench facing the river. I walked across the bridge and found back my memory of the previous visit, a flowering cherry grove on the opposite side of the bank. I have to walk along the edge of a green field with some horses in order to be back on track. There is another college with classical architecture, towering main building and church. The river flows back to a city center full of people either shopping or taking boat tours.

Continue marching along with rowing boats, I find that rowing is popular in England. There are many rowing clubs by the banks of both sides to store boats. A city park is by the side of the path with a toilet for use. I was on my way out of the city in a field to the suburban and people were walking on the field back and forth between that city center and their residential area behind the field. Their colorful outfits reminds me my old days of coming home for Lunar New Year vacation at my home town at the southern part of Taiwan. I continued walking until a corner of two streams concurrent. On my way back to the city center, I saw parents teaching small girls riding a big horse.

Cambridge city center is not hat large and easily accessed. I found the old food courts square and ordered a Japanese plate for my late lunch. The city was full of tourists during the weekend like Oxford, full of the admirers of the world.

No comments: