Friday, October 4, 2019

The third day returning to NYC 2019/Carlos Pueblo

The third day returning to NYC 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Bushwick is at Brooklyn where I visit each time in New York City. Patrick has a real estate office here. I have known him at a suburban of Allentown, Pennsylvania in a political meeting in 1978. I noticed his vocal character and ran into him again at their group visit at our Houston credit union some 20 years later. Since then, I always request to visit him on each of my NYC trip. He took me to tour the High Line Park in Chelsea at its beginning, Williamsburg at Brooklyn after its re-innovation, etc. This time, he would like to indicate the change of Bushwick in a way I felt like Williamsburg and not yet completed, an artist's town indeed. There is a small set up of rooms up stair at his office to provide short time stay for Taiwanese and Chinese artists while at their NYC visits.

I followed his direction to tackle three subway lines to reach Myrtle Wyckoff Aves Station. It was raining and a kind local lady on the train insisted seeing me take a right direction after getting off the train. Pat came to meet me in front of his office and we walked several blocks at the area and took some pictures. It really reminds me of the scenery of Williamsburg. What he says is the French word of Gentrification, a movement of residents from the suburban back to the old city. I believe that the phenomena is also involving traffic, middle class, and the improvement of the public safety, etc. I have seen this in Austin and Houston, Texas. The Bushwick improvement is not quite completed yet just started while Williamsburg is more established with even the new adventure of water taxi to replace he old ferry in crossing river traffic.

I was not carefully restrict my admiration of Dr. Ko Wen-jer, the Mayor of Taipei whom he dislikes. I have to end the visit abruptly, and also due to the rain. Taiwan is an unique country in the world. I wish that I can compare the situation to some other nations. Taiwan is still a colony of a token nation of the Republic of China which has been toppled by the Communist China since 1949. Taiwan is one of the few former colonial territory coming out or not quite  as a better off situation. Taiwan is still facing the threat of been annexed by China.

No comments: