Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Visiting Newport, Rhode Island 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Newport, Rhode Island 2019/Carlos Pueblo

After sailing out of Manhattan pier overnight, the Cruise Ship arrived at Newport, Rhode Island. There are three interesting names of the sea, the Long Island Sound, the Block Island Sound, and the Rhode Island Sound among three States, New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island which are all parts of the New England. It is a small yet very expansive city famous of as the host of the America's Cup, the sailing context.

There is a tender service from the Ship to the pier for about 45 minutes ride. I selected my marching routine on the harbor walk toward the right direction. Tourists were waiting on the pier to board on yacht for excursions. There are plenty of shops and yachts on the pier which are all out of my frugal reach. I went inside a large arts and furniture store converted by an old building back to the colonial era as a small castle or military establishment. The inventory items are all antique fine arts and furniture. I chatted with a lady clerk about the city and how the residents doing for living. She says that the city depends on tourism, naval base, and a missile company, etc. She was curious how I found my interest to visit the city. In addition to the first stop of the Quebec City route, I told her that I would like to take the opportunity to visit the late Senator Pell's home State. Indeed, Newport is his hometown and the cross sea bridge is named after him she says. She says that he is a great man in politic, the famous Pell Grant for needed college students.

I described my impression of Senator Pell to her. Pell was one of the two in the Congress, the other one was former Congressman Steven Solarz of Manhattan, paid their sympathy to the oppressed Taiwanese under Chiang Kai-sek's Chinese authoritarian rule. They did voice their concern and was the only Taiwanese hope back then. He was from a rich family and was in excellent position for his political adventure; therefore, he never solicited a campaign contribution from the society of Taiwanese American. I was told that he once was in the U.S. Navy on his Asian tour before WWII and his ship passed by the Formosa Straight. He was brief by George Kerr, the author of the Formosa Betrayed than a junior diplomat in Taipei. He had served as the Chairman of the Senate Foreign Committee for years. His residential mansion is still here at Newport yet required an Uber to visit.

I kept on going on the right had direction of the Main Street until I reached some commoners' area and I didn't believe Pell's Mansion could be run into; therefore, I turned around back to the city center. I came to a pretty church which I couldn't remember its name. It is behind a statue and I believe that has been more than 400 years and to do with the Church of England, something to do with Trinity that Current British Queen helps for renovation. The Church has a regular program of food kitchen for area needed and I am very impressed. On the back side of the Church, there are additional residential area while on a side street of the Church, many old frame building back to the colonial era well maintained and clearly marked to show their significance through that period, the Revolution, and until current days. I made a turn after an old stone brick paved street of a shopping strip back to the pier.

I understand that I have missed my opportunity to tour around the gorgeous part of Newport, all the famous mansions of the rich and famous in history. I can't complain because that my time is limited and it is not important to me any longer after I have been some places in the rest of the world. It is nice to see New England.

No comments: