Tuesday, October 8, 2019

The fourth day returning to NYC 2019/Carlos Pueblo

The fourth day returning to NYC 2019/Carlos Pueblo

 Yong, my host at Staten Island, took me for a tour of some parts of NYC, Manhattan China Town, Chelsea 34th St Penn Station, and march to the High Line Park/the Hudson Yard. Before my taking off to NYC, Evelyn, my insured in Indiana, recommended me visit the Chinese Immigrants Museum at the Manhattan Chinatown and I did mention it to him, the original electrical wiring designer of the old museum on Bayard Street just next to Bo Ky Restaurant where I got my marinate duck. We went up to the old museum, now an activity center for senior Chinese and went to the new one after a delicious bowl of rice noodle at Bo Ky. Across the street of the new museum, there is a Buddhist Temple facility to offer free meals for needed persons and I am very impressed.

We took the subway again to the Penn Station, first we visited the market square of the station, vegetable and fruits stands, farms products, nursery plants, etc. The station itself is quite popular to the local young family for their grocery shopping. One time, I saw some farmers provided some cut peach branches bundle up for sale. I did ask one farmer from the up state the reason. She told me that might be for the better of peach crops over all for the excess of blooming. We marched out of the station and enter Chelsea toward the High Line Park. It is very established now for the railroad station converted gardens up stair. The old station has become restaurants, shops, and beer houses, etc. The up stair level has been converted to a beautiful gardens, full of weekend visitors. The meat supply for NYC are usually from the mid west states, Chicago for example, first by water ways, the great lakes and canals to the Hudson River, then, the water way was replaced by the railroad. After the  invention of 18 wheeler trucks, the freeway has replaced the old railroad. High Line station was abandoned until the new idea of High Line Park. Dr. Ko Wen-jer of Taipei, the capital city of Taiwan, came here to visit before he was elected as the Mayor. I hope that he will have another opportunity to visit NYC again to walk a little further to visit the Hudson Yard on the other end to be his idea of innovation in the future of Taiwan.

His old employer, the Metropolitan Transit Authority of NYC, received a proposal to buy the right to used the subway trains yard to build new buildings. The MTA didn't know what to do with the proposal price of 500 million dollars and the buyers kept on negotiating with the authority that the MTA could still keep the yard. The MTA needed the funds and finally the deal was done with 1.5 billion for the land use. There are at least 5 major high rise buildings of the size of Taipei 101 on site with a touring tower which you have to pay to get a better view of the project. It is only in NYC and it is only in this great nation on earth can have this structure engineering revolution. The Hudson Yard project is on top of the old trains yard. I went up to the 5th floor Macy's to check on my new leather jacket, a Emporio Collection, to see if it is a real leather or a fake. This is a story which I like to describe on my previous trip to England.

We walked back to a new subway station to catch on train back to the Canal Station to get my second bowl of noodle, I had had a seafood combination rice noodle for lunch and the second on was a beef noodle. Both are highly recommended by him and he tells me that I shall have more selections while I visit Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Singapore in January, next year.

No comments: