Thursday, October 17, 2019

Returning to Ketchikan, Alaska 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Returning to Ketchikan, Alaska 2019/Carlos Pueblo

The cruise ship left Juneau southbound along the inner sea of the Alaska  to Ketchikan at the southern tip of the eastern panhandle. There is a western Alaska Panhandle which I call included the Alaska Penisula and Aleutian Islands where the cruise route is not developed. It is the beginning and the end of the Alaska Cruises. Rododendrons were withered away at the time of our arrival in less than two weeks of time. I marched up stream along the Ketchikan Creek toward the Fish Hatchery and it was raining. A high school baseball match was held at the field. I watched because that I had had nothing to do that day. The home team was struggling and nobody could reach to the first base. I had had my conclusion already that the size of players between them made the difference.

Walking back to the city center still along the creek, I tried to find several spots to refresh of my memory, the craft beer shop and the deteriorating frame building, etc. Once a German couple were curious that such an advanced Nation as the U.S. could have buildings so allowed inside the city limit. I didn't find those buildings any longer and I was glad. I went back to circle around streets near by the pier. It is not large in size of the downtown Ketchikan.

The town was established during the gold rush period in the late 19 century, than became a salmon production center. Now, it is a hub of the cruise liners and also a  small maintenance station of the Alaska Pipe Line. Most of the human activity is during the warm weather between late spring to early fall and reaches the peak in the summer while the school is off on summer vacation.

No comments: