Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Visiting Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Sydney is on another part of Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, even more eastward than St. John, New Brunswick. I have been through this Canadian Maritime Provinces twice and can't recall any memory of being here. It is because that I attempt to find a rail road station to connect the Great Trans Canadian Rail Road which now I believe starts at St. John, NB, Canada. It may be due to the sea strait separate the Island from the Continent. On this visit, I did try to find a rail road station yet in vain. I did visit two parts of the old settlement along with the harbor walk, on the Wentworth Municipal Park and another part of that walk to an old city center with a beautiful church and an old aluminum factory.

There is a paved pedestrian path with nicely wood board toward the Park, as a matter of fact, there is a nicely arranged park along the path. It is a typical experience for me to march on the harbor walk and then to the old city center of the port city when I disembark. I enjoy the march on the harbor walk and also appreciate the art arrangement of the city gardeners. Instead of a visitors center right by the pier, the city put an office not far from the pier by a side of the path with an ice cream store next to it. Bush flowers were blooming with spring green lawn all over. When I reached a sea front monument of a wrecked ship of early immigrants, it was almost at the end of the current harbor walk. I turned up to the first city main street and turned to the direction out of the city center. A nice fire station is on the corner of the street turned highway. The Wentworth Municipal Park is not far away a small creek drains the water from a lake inside the Park. I didn't enter the Park, instead I turned into a street perpendicular to the four main streets of the city to a church by a bridge across the lake in the Park. I believe that the lake is a flood control basin originally a river itself.

I entered the Park to use it portable toilet. The wild birds on the lawn ignored my passing through, the white geese, wild ducks, and even the wild pigeons, etc. There facilities for out door performance and many nicely placed flowers gardens. There are several stands posted introductions of the history of the Parks, one of the city fore fathers with the vision to develop this Park has a business building behind his monument. On that side of the Park, there are prestigious mansions with nice gardens in the front. I can sense that the city is still very rich and very well maintained. I made a nice walk around the lake and exit to the church to enter an old  subdivision. The frame houses are more like for the commoners, local residents, not like the gorgeous mansions on the main street. There are petunia flowers pots hanging every where on the main street which reminds me of the European cities. Benches seats also provided in front of each shops on the street.

I didn't enjoy too much in details on the city center, instead I marched to the other direction of the harbor walk. I passed by another harbor walk park and chatted with a young man of the Jehovah Witness. He answered my curiosity of an old set up by the path. It is a set up to receive the aluminum ore from the shipment twice a week from outside. There is a factory here to make aluminum for years. I did see an old factory by a bride across a creek not far from a beautiful church with light rail to transfer ore and products out of the plant. I did see a small memory park across the street of that church and read the introduction that Alcoa of the local division closed some time ago. I was curious again and walked again into the residential area. Most of the resident are fully utilized the nice climate by placing their flowers pots outside to make it very unique and beautiful.

No comments: