Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The fig picking in the summer/Carlos Pueblo


The fig picking in the summer/Carlos Pueblo

It is the fig harvest season in Houston and we are invited to pick figs on neighbors’
backyards. Amy would blend it with vegetables and fruits for our morning nutritious
drinks every day. We pick our first summer fig harvest on Stoneford Street at Leila’s
backyard tree by the fence. She is a pretty Husky pet dog 3 ½ years old, one of my
honey dogs of 35 in the subdivision. Their figs are smaller and purple color when ripe
yet slightly sweeter than the others. The second one is our neighbor Ching Ying’s
backyard which I can use his aluminum leader to reach some on the top of branches.
I used to pick figs at Molly’s backyard on Chevy Chase Street. She bought the house
from Christina Wu a little bit earlier than our moving in to the subdivision. Amy starts
planting a fig tree right on the back of our garage from a small piece of branch from
her church sister who provides their harvest occasionally.

I have loved fruits picking ever since my childhood. Recently, I was told that my host
of persimmons picking would be ended due to their moving to California in order to
be near with their children. I have now with the tangerines and lemons picking on our
backyard and this newly discovers of figs. This closed relationship with figs reminds me
a disrupted friendship between Orlie Simon and myself. She is an Israeli and the fig is
a symbol or national fruit of that nation. One year, she sent me a pair of silver sterling
sleeve buttons for gifts with a design of fig, like five candles upward. I believe that I still
keep them in a small box with my wedding ring, etc. She reminded me that her name
was the famous of airport in Paris where I really reached it some years later.

I move the ladder around the tree. Ripe figs are soft and just fall into my hand. Some of
them were bitten by birds and a lot of them were fallen on the ground. The owners dislike
to eat figs yet for some reasons I have enjoyed pick them and eat them. In just two weeks
they will be gone until next year.

We’re going to Michelle’s house to do our house chores for her. This reminds me I do have
some peaches, pomegranates, and grape fruits picking at her back yard in different seasons.
I am going to Europe next month for two months or more and I may run into apples picking
somewhere and sometime.

No comments: