Thursday, July 19, 2018

Another successful story of a immigrant family/Carlos Pueblo


Another successful story of a immigrant family/Carlos Pueblo

Yesterday, Amy gave me her phone for a call from Mrs. Chen about the Mandatory
Requirement of Distribution of her pension funds. Her question is about the amount
of minimum requirement be transferred from pension account to a regular account
in stock shares instead of cash because she likes the mutual fund which has performed
so well, 400% increase for the past 17 years, and she doesn’t need the fund. She is
still working full time and withdraws social security benefit. I am so happy for her and
I like very much to write about her family’s successful story of immigration to this
great nation.

I got acquaintance with her husband, Mr. Chen a Ph.D. scientist, at Johnson Space
Center during my three tenure of a subcontractor’s job at the Clear Lake City. He
came to me for one of his pension plan from a previous contractor with JSC. I placed
it under a rollover IRA with the company which I was working at the time. The fund
has passed on to his widow, Mrs. Chen, after his death short after. I did some of her
IRA during those years thereafter with the same fund and another company’s fund
after I left the original company. She told me the original investment was about
$50,000 and grew up to $200,000.

After her husband’s death, she started working at a department store near by her
home and continually till now. That makes her days occupied especially both of
her daughters are far away from Houston, one in Portland, Oregon as a physician
and the second daughter in San Francisco as a business consultant both married
with children. Recently, I have issued a flood policy for her upon her request and
each time she calls, I have had a very good conversation with her and understand
that she is doing very well by her financial independence.

My definition of a successful immigrant is very simple, by reaching to a financial
independence of a family without depending welfare resented by some American;
a successful second generation for their achievement better off than their parents,
and the contribution to the new nation eventually and that is a meaningful
immigration.



No comments: