Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Enjoy the summer with fruits and vegetables/Carlos Pueblo


Enjoy the summer with fruits and vegetables/Carlos Pueblo

The summer heat wave is lethal in Houston, Texas and lucky me that I can hide inside
the house under the protection of air conditioning. The other day, I bought 4
watermelons  from the super market and chilled one by one to make the summer
more enjoyable. This is the part of life that I like to live in the United States that
minimizes the threat of heat in the summer and severe cold in the winter. We also
enjoy plenty of oriental vegetables available in the oriental super markets which
make me feel comfortable on my daily diet. They are mostly from California. I
shall mention one particularly, Arden lattice, we call it A-a tsai in Taiwan where
we plant on the yard as a supplement supply of regular vegetables on the table.

I was from a very humble background of childhood. Most of the time, our family
had had a very limited budget to purchase foods, fruits and meats were considered
luxury; however, vegetables were plentiful at the villages we lived. I have built my
life time love of fruits and vegetables. Even on my small plot of back yard, I grow
two kinds of vegetables. Sponge gourd and leek, that I enjoy the harvest during the
summer. I would make a leek-egg omelet in the morning and a vegetable noodle
soup of luffa or sponge gourd. Both were my favorite vegetables in my childhood.

Many friends and neighbors give us figs or encourage us to pick them during the
summer. Amy would blend them with some fresh vegetables and fruits in the
morning to make  a mixed drink for us to make sure that I have enough vitamin
C. She even asks a friend to cut a branch to start growing it on the back of our
garage. I have given up my dream to grow some vegetables, yet I still have a
lemon, a tangerine, and some queva trees on the backyard which will be ready
later or in the fall.

I watch the news in Taiwan about the abundant harvests of summer fruits and
vegetables which threat the collapse of market prices. I think of my unfortunate
of childhood and regret that I can’t take advantage of such opportunity to enjoy
the summer fruits and vegetables in Taiwan. I am satisfied with my current
situation and moving on to my next traveling adventure with cruise with plenty
supply of fruits in the cafeteria.
   

No comments: