Monday, December 23, 2013

Visiting an old acquaintance at Waikiki War memorial/ Charles Chuang

Visiting an old acquaintance at Waikiki War memorial/ Charles Chuang Every time when I travel to Waikiki, I would go to the front of the Waikiki War Memorial to visit an old acquaintance. This man is very unique, every Morning before the day break, he would swipe clean the vine yard in front of the War Memorial. I could not help to ask while I passed by; therefore, I came to visit him every time when I traveled to Waikiki. Roland had served In the Army in Oahu Island when he was young and has lived in the island ever since. I checked my record, it should be two and half years ago when I visited him. He was semi-retired from swiping the ground and now, he only drops by on Thursday and Friday morning. Another person called Nelson is taking care of the duty, he is a homeless person. One Thursday morning, I came to the bench early to wait, Doug was there as well. He is a retired nurse who is a Chinese American. Two and half years ago, he showed up here quite often with his aging mother. He sometimes helping Roland to swipe the ground. I saw him once when he helped his mother to sip the fountain water, Roland explained to me his background. Now, Doug is liberated, his mother died, he even brings his wife, Michelle, to come along with him. Both of them dressed a little better than the homeless. There are many wild pigeons in front of the Memorial, one of them is Mona Lisa who was injured by a wheel one day and Doug helped to cure the injury. The bird answers to his call and can fly down from the top of a palm tree. He feeds the pigeons with the cat food which he claims with high protein. I recognized Doug right away and he was surprised that I knew so much about him and his mother. His wife sometimes grills chicken to treat the homeless. He introduces me to many passersby. One of them courted a young Taiwanese graduate student without success. I was not quite comfortable among so many people and left thereafter. Doug and his wife obviously so choose to avoid something, no fight with the rest of the world. All their equipment is in their 4 wheels Range Over. He should have a handsome pension. Michelle looks Like a Hawaii native. It is very difficult for me to imagine this kind of life. One day I went to a hospital to check on my blood pressure. The upper one level was a little bit higher than before. My wife asks the reason why, I believe that I have run into so much feeling, meet so many people, and too much excitement.

No comments: