Friday, December 20, 2013

An old man ran into a pretty lady/ Charles Chuang

An old man ran into a pretty lady/ Charles Chuang I stepped outside an elevator from a Dingshi subway station at Yunghe District ,Taipei, Taiwan with three big and small luggage plus a tennis racket. It did not Proceed smoothly, a young lady came forward to help me and I received favor as with surprise. She dressed elegantly with a light overcoat and just came back from China. She was from Tsindao, Santong, China and had been in Taiwan for the past 12 years. I admitted that I like people from Santong because I was in the 58th Army Division stationed at the old frontier, Little Kinmen, 42 years ago. I mentioned two places, Gimo and Entai, she stopped to chat with me. Santong people are straight forward by reputation. Because I did not prepare a cell phone in Taiwan; therefore Miss Hsu left her cell numbers for me to call her. Also because I was passed age 65, no fantasy in my mind, and I did not believe that it was an old man running into a pretty woman. After several days I could not resist on calling her, sometimes she answered and sometimes she did not. I had passed Taichung and could not visit her. She explained to me that she was working for a bio-tech company hired her to do the advertisement for Chinese tourists in Taiwan. She was concerned the truth of the advertisement and did not want to get the trouble involved. Even though I had much guess in her, yet there were quite difference from younger age. Was it the Platonic love or admiration toward her? I appreciated this opportunity to know her. One day, we both knew that I was leaving in a few days and she decided to come up to Shipai, Taipei for a dinner with me. After a cup of coffee, she left for Taichung in a hurry because of her new job to take care of an old man. She has divorced for a long time with a son aged 24 studying in Italy. While stepping out of the subway at Taipei Mail Rail Station, she reminded me call her.

No comments: