Sunday, December 29, 2013

Visiting Hsinchu/ Charles Chuang

Visiting Hsinchu/ Charles Chuang Originally I arranged to stay at the hostels in Taipei when I had my dental appointments. I could go back to Huwei, my relative’s homes to stay while waiting; therefore, I passed by Hsinchu to meet a group of my classmates in college. I met them in the spring of 2008, and scheduled to meet again in 2009 yet failed due to a conflict of activity. I asked Carl, the head of the class, to arrange a lunch and he asked Roger to manage the gathering instead. He just returned from Tokyo for retirement. One Sunday morning, I took a speedy rail to Hsinchu and waked up Roger at home at Toufen, Miaoli. I showed off one or two sentences in Japanese to him. He is a Ph.D. in chemistry from Tokyo University fluent in both Japanese and English. He had stayed in Tokyo For 21 yesrs. I have had several classmates coming back to Taiwan after finishing the Ph.D. degrees in order to help the nation. Most of them came to work in Hsinchu such as the industrial technology research institute and science campus. Some parts of Hsinchu looks like any of the American city in the environmental feeling. We went to a Taichimen office for a cup of tea and met several of Carl’s colleagues. Soon or later, we all arrived to the restaurant for lunch. This year I met several classmates that I did not see in 2008, Ting Luan , Lijen and his wife. Ting Luan has been retired for quite some time and yet the school insists that she continue teach as a part time teacher at Hsinchu Senior High, a very prestige high school where many alumni are very famous around the world. Lijen and his wife are engaged in the water purification field, sea water converted to pure drinking water with straw. Many classmates attended 08 gathering such as Carl, Chenfu, Chenyi, and Roger etc. Carl is considering whether to be retired or not and Chenfu, a retiree yet still working as a consultant, advises him to check with company’s personnel officer to find out the maximum hours for a consultant. Roger does retire from his work in Tokyo and yet is still very busy working to receive friends from Tokyo and manage a charity foundation. After lunch at the coffee tables, he mentioned something about our life goal which attracted my attention. He described how we studied at schools for the degrees in our life and asked so much while did not know what it was. This has become a burden of our society. I was curious and asked him again when he drove me to his home at Toufen, Miaoli. Chenyi dropped tear when he mentioned hid deceased wife. I was very touched and comforted him be careful that many widow might find him in some other way. I feel very ashamed for myself that I must change my attitude toward my wife. I shall not agitate her and make her stressful.

No comments: