Thursday, December 19, 2013

Playing tennis at Waikiki Courts/ Charles Chuang

Playing tennis at Waikiki Courts/ Charles Chuang Before taking off, I had reserved two separate weeks stay at a hostel nearby the University of Hawaii campus. Every morning, I would take the city bus #13 to the Kapiolani Park at Waikiki Beach to play tennis. There are four courts at this park light provided at dark throughout the night for the travelers. Known players would carry their own rackets or some hotels would provide them to play. Every morning before day break, people come. It lasts until afternoon. The breeze comes from Waikiki Beach and makes the players forget the bright Hawaii sunshine. Several years ago, I passed by this park and borrowed a racket From a lady afterward I carried a racket back to Huwei, Taiwan for tennis. Some Waikii courts players are Japanese American, this attracts many Japanese tourists. On my way back to the United States, I ran into Honolulu Marathon. Many Japanese runners stayed at Waikiki to play tennis, then went back to Japan separately; many American and Canadian from the west coast constantly are wondering at this park for tennis. There is an aged Taiwanese lay from Brazil explaining the story to me, who is who, at the courts. Due to her physical Condition, she is over 80 years old, just completed a cataract surgery and not Seeing well, I suggested her quit tennis and start walking for exercise in order to be safe. I did not see her since then. There are some 340 photos showing tennis players passed by this park in a year. My tennis skill is slightly different from the regular players. My old Japanese robber ball tennis held a different grip and also a different method to hit the ball. No proper professional to train me to hit the ground stroke and top spin ; therefore, I use slice or cut the ball in order to make a tennis game. I return All the incoming balls back to the opponents make them to consider hitting to a wall. This attracts many American players, one of them is Diane Kinder- water, a television producer from Santa Fe, New Mexico. We become good friends. One morning Diane brought her friend Rocky who would be a 4.5 player with a good looking and very strong ground stroke. I was afraid of playing him, yet we played together versus another good team with a very good memory. A retired tennis pro called Ricky, a Philippino American with a Japanese wife , Yoko. Yoko plays tennis very hard with a grunt. I yelled on the sideline in Japanese, Yoko San is Kauai mo tennis mo jozu desu, means Yoko is pretty and plays good tennis. Her husband was very pleased and discussing fishing and tennis to me. He recommends me play at the Diamond Head courts that there are more good players and some Taiwanese immigrants.

No comments: