Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A dinner with two graduate students/ Charles Chuang

A dinner with two graduate students/ Charles Chuang On the plane from Los Angeles back to Houston, I ran into a young pretty girl from Anhui, China. She just arrives to the United States for her Ph.D. program at the chemical engineering, University of Houston. I have my admiration and respect instantly. When I was young, I attempted to change my major to chemical engineering and this particular university was my Waterloo. I regret it all my life. I encourage her to study hard and get her degree and after that most of the company would hire her. Tonight we invited both she and her fellow student to our dinner at a restaurant, I start to realize that current chemical engineering is involving high tech products and is very different from what I have thought of the traditional drafting, units process, and mechanic solid or fluid etc. Mr. Liu, a young man at his third year here, was from Henan, China, also from Chinese University of Science and Technology, explains that the engineering departments anxiously recruit students with scientific majors to their graduate study programs. He is a physics major while this Miss Liu, the girl I ran into, is a chemistry major from the same Chinese University. After 40 or 50 years later, the students of pure chemistry receive such Attention, I am so much impressed. There is a stiff competition in every field of the American business. Every business is looking for a person with ability. You can some time pay a little bit less attention to get along with fellow workers such as pleasing your superiors only if you have done a good job with your work. You can pursue your individual life and build your life time hobby etc. The wealth is within your reach in no time. Both of them are intellectual and should grasp this opportunity by working hard to get the degree as soon as possible. How to get along with people is a virtue and yet is not the step brick to knock on a job or a step stone to get into a job. This Ph.D. program is a rare brick and stone to enter the job market. Also a man with the same surname Liu, Emperor Liu is almighty to have so many children, was my old classmate at college. After finishing his Ph.D., he went back to Taiwan to work. Recently I ran into him at a party, he passed on a name card with a senior vice president title on it. Even in today’s industry, business still looking and keeping for able person. Some time I am wondering if I should work harder to keep my knocking brick opportunity 36 years at the same university.

No comments: