Friday, July 31, 2020

The swimming pool of our subdivision/Carlos Pueblo

The swimming pool of our subdivision/Carlos Pueblo

There is a swimming pool at our subdivision along with two tennis courts, one is converted to a basket ball court not yet open due to the Pandemic out break. I have started my swimming routine since the early summer. It is my surprise that I almost swim on the pool by myself most of the time. The association has paid very much attention of the well kept of the pool and courts,i.e. twice a week for the pool cleaning and several regular checks by the pool service personal weekly. I find my love of the pool and regret very much that I have not noticed ever since our move to this neighborhood.

I learned how to swim when I was at the elementary school at a mountain town in the central part of Taiwan. A small and clean creek called Tung Hung flowed by a rice liquor factory and later merged into a larger creek and several other confluence westward to the Formosa Straight. I have had a good memory of that. Soon after that, we moved to a larger sugar factory in the central west part of Taiwan. My dad asked his colleague, an engineer, to teach me how to swim properly. Since then, I can do laps swimming which means to and fro on the pool. Now, I am swimming like a mild marathon some times about 25 laps of 3 miles distance. I can do it better in breast stoke than other kinds of style.


The pool has an unique design likes two Olympic pools side by side with 50 meter tracks. Both tracks are perpendicular with each other. One with proper Olympic size lays on the ground with water deep about 4 feet while the other one on top of the small stroke of 7 has a portion of 10 feet with a guide rope to separate each for the safety awareness. There is no safety guard now; therefore, I swim along the side and dip pass the rope. When I estimate the most of 3 miles 25 laps is on the 50 meters on each side with 4 sides 200 meters one lap and 25 laps means 50,000 meters or 5 Km or 3 miles. I am thinking myself very much when I am swimming that I can really estimate the volume or how much water in the pool like when I walk on the Hersey Park, a flood control basin, that I understand the base of the flood water the Army engineers can keep it on the park. I believe that if have learned well at the chemical engineering unit process, I can even calculate how much energy that I consume for that 25 laps. There is a conversion that I am not good at it, in a result of such failure, I have never been able to be converted from a chemist to a chemical engineer.

I am very satisfied to have the pool by myself most of the time. The water is light blue and clean and is very comfortable during the summer. Occasionally, I do see one or two family come to join with me swimming. As a matter of fact, most of the residents here in the subdivision do have their pool on the back yard. It is fine with me of it all.

No comments: