Friday, July 24, 2020

Our bodies are received from our parents/Carlos Pueblo

Our bodies are received from our parents/Carlos Pueblo

There are huge numbers of infected patients of the Chinese Wuhan Novel Corona Virus Pandemic and many American are suffering from such disease. There are many reasons for such damage for such an advanced nation like the U.S. and I ask myself the reason why. One of the reason that I remember is from the Confucianism is the beginning of the filial piety which is considered not relevant to the western society. He says that our bodies, the skin and hair, are received from our parents; therefore, we don't dare to have them damaged. The novel corona virus is new and lethal without any of the vaccine and cure; therefore, we must protect ourselves from getting infected. Doctors have advised us to wear the face masks, to wash our hands with soap, and to keep a safe distance with others. We can't make an excuse that you listen to Donald Trump for not wearing the mask and to engage to a campaign rally, etc. We must take a good care of our bodies.

I don't see how I can get infected, I have practiced myself a self quarantine schedule daily and I have lived a de facto life of self-exile for a long time. I check on the fresh air at my subdivision every morning while I am walking. I make sure that we keep a good distance while playing the tennis double, and finally, I make sure our swimming pool is clean and spaces, as a matter of fact, it is almost by myself. Of course, I must admit that this is an unusual nice environment to live on. Many people do not have this kind of luxury, they must go to work and earn a living and I understand. My son Arthur has never been off his supermarket work. He is very careful of his work environment and he doesn't want to take any chance to get infected and pass it on to us. His continuous working has made his mother's anxiety. She doesn't have a good health insurance and we don't know how to avoid the huge medical expenditure once get infected. There are 40 millions of the U.S. population have no health coverage at all and I am waiting for the study to come out to indicate the percentage of the infected. 

For those people who are fighting for their freedom to go out gathering, carrying weapons to the State Hall to protect the lock down in order to exercise their 2nd Amendment right, huge gathering to protest the racial injustice in this country, and want to go to huge parties, etc. I don't admire them and I pity them to take such a risk of their life, if there is any of the meaningful life at all. I even think further that according to the Buddhism that our body is just a loan from the heaven and we shall return them via cremation, isn't it true that what we do for the death cause by the virus? 

No comments: