Sunday, March 8, 2020

Returning to visit Picton on the east coast of S. Island in New Zealand 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Returning to visit Picton on the east coast of S. Island in New Zealand 2019/Carlos Pueblo

On the second back of my New Zealand trip back to back, the Captain made a change of route from sailing to Wellington after Napier directly to Picton and Akaroa on the South Island and then back to Wellington on the North Island for a reason why I was not awared. This time I had had a hiking partner, Susan Berdahl, the retired professor of Texas A&M Laredo campus. She is a good mountain hiker and has guided me to two hiking tracks, the Tirohanga Track and  the Victoria Domain Walking Tracks. After the hiking, we went to visit two lovely British bulldogs by the Picton Marina and their owner when I was here five days before.

We turned southeast from Waikawa Road to the first track, the Tirohanga and up. She did study where she likes to visit and knows how to read maps.  This Waikawa Road is to the Waikawa Bay with many pretty home gardens which I have described previously. The beautiful garden of a luxury hotel is right by the route. It is not that difficult for hiking and route is established someway friendly to hikers; yet still requires a good pair of knees. We can see some side traps to catch predators which are the bother of the local birds and their eggs. The mountain view is very unique for the people from Texas Plain even in West Texas where I don't see the mountain hiking is a habit and also the view is very much different. I met a German American couple from Florida used to live at Bryant, Texas. He is a Ph. D in physics and now working in a hospital and is very proud of his making here in the States. We came down from another route to the edge of the town center. While on a country road, we ran into a big pig following us to cross a brook, or a small clear creek and keeping on. I asked a local lady about that pig, she suddenly remembered a small pet pig a couple months ago and promised me to inform the owner. I took some pictures for memory and Jenny and Susan all liked to see him. We also visited and chatted with a owner of two sheep in his backyard. He was cutting some grasses outside in a storm ditch for them. It is a very pleasant subdivision which the homeowners pay very much attention to their home gardens.

We walked pass a bridge called Coathanger Bridge on Picton Marina to the Victoria Domain Walking Tracks, another hiking and another challenge to me. We finally reached to Bob's Bay down to the bottom. That German scientist and his wife went down to swim. I ran into my fellow Taiwanese lady, Ms. Kuo Ru-chien and her Japanese lady friend from Wellington. I promised her to send her photos when I got home. This Victoria Domain is a huge track with several territory to cover that I wish one day I can do it again.

I insisted to visit two of my dog friends by the Picton Marina and dog run field before Waikawa Road. I met them on my firs visit and they still recognized me and no barking this time. The young man owner tells us that they are genuine British bulldogs named Barba and Bim. I got his e-mail address and will send him pictures of the lovely dogs.

No comments: