Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Returning to visit Akaroa, East South Island, New Zealand 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Returning to visit Akaroa, East South Island, New Zealand 2019/Carlos Pueblo

This Akaroa is one of my favorite garden township in the whole world, if there is another one in competition. We came down directly from Picton on the north tip of the South Island passing Wellington nearby on the south end of the North Island for a reason I guessed for the ship to sail the entire night to kill the time. I walked to the light house direction by visiting the Garden of Tane, then back to the city center for the rose garden street, Rue Jolie, and extended to a large homestead garden home on the next street corner. Then, I kept on marching toward the Beach Road to the War Memorial Rose Garden. Professor Susan came to meet me at a door step at a shopping center and we went to visit the old French Cemetery. On the way, I found two protea flower trees in front of an ice cream store.

I intended to take some more pictures of the dahlia lot at the corner of the Beach Road and Aubrey Street. The homeowner has made the flowers lot very attractive. There is a house with very beautiful geranium and rose in the front and lady owner was the one recommending me the rose street in the city center and gave me geranium name. I entered the Garden of Tane from Aubrey Street entrance directly to the swing and slide center for children. I had had plenty of time to take photos for all the ancient huge trees in the garden. The city marks trees of their name and original from. Some of them were planted in celebration of the end of wars or the Queen's enthrone, etc. The city is still planting trees with marks on the ground. The garden park is quite a size yet I can circle around repeatedly. I did go to the old cemetery and a view point several times.

From the light house back to the town center, I turned right on Bruce Terrace Street to Rue Jolie, the rose garden street. I was guided by the flowers on the street fence to a large and beautiful homestead about at least three acres lot. It is a two story contemporary home with very charming garden in the front with roses and others, fruit trees, apple, peach, orange and lemon, etc., beans, strawberry, grape vines. Several cute pet dogs won't bother a fence chicken and a small stream flow through the garden. I chatted with the owner who managed the garden entirely. On my way back to the rose garden street, I ran into two daughters from the ship, Mariz was with a group and Evangeline was by herself. I took them to visit the large garden home.

The War Memorial Rose Garden was still in full blooming. I couldn't resist to get more photos. Finally, I felt that I should rest for a moment and found my spot on a door step in front of a closed door. Last time, I asked people how to get my free WiFi connection here. Professor Susan suddenly appeared. I accompanied her to visit the old French Cemetery. On the way, I found another of my favorite flowers, the protea of South Africa. I saw this flowers in Houston's super market flower shop and at Maui Hawaii University agriculture extension garden in Hawaii. The flower is original from South Africa and transplanted in Florida and Hawaii. It looks like the lotus shape yet more complicated pedals. It is required high elevation warm in the summer and cold in the winter. I don't usually see it during my traveling around the world even in Hawaii and Florida.

No comments: