Friday, December 21, 2018

Visiting Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin Islands/Carlos Pueblo


Visiting Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin Islands/Carlos Pueblo

Tortola is one of the most populated, 24,000, islands of the British
Virgin Islands. We landed at Road Town harbor, a very nice set up
pier for the cruise. Tortola is the original name by Columbus according
to the local lore. It sounds like a turtle in Spanish, Tortuga, yet the
instruction of the cruise says Turtle Dove. In order to satisfy myself,
I went to check my available dictionaries at home. Tortolo is a male
bird, a beautiful wild bird with colorful feather while Tortola is the
female. According my Spanish-Japanese dictionary, Tortola is more
like a kind of wild birds in the pheasant family. After the rifle era,
tortolos have diminished, can never been survived.

Tortola has been changing hands three times, Spanish to Dutch, and
Dutch to English. Finally, English adopt the current name and is directly
British Virgin Islands, 60 miles from U.S. Porto Rico and 22 miles from
The U.S. virgin Islands.

I can’t tell the famous financial center of the world, Virgin Islands, at
the street scenery of Road Town. It might be hidden somewhere of on
the beautiful building on hills. There are many and some of them like
commercial buildings such as hotels and office buildings. I have been to
British George Town, Great Cayman Islands and noticed many British
banks. It must be somewhere that the rich and hide their money in the
Caribbean.

I did march toward both directions from the pier after a nice shopping
center. It was early Sunday morning and the streets were not busy. I
walked into a huge field with a gate fence opened. There was a tent
church gathered by about 10 worshippers. I set and listening to the
pastor’s criticizing the other pastors not walking on the main path but
selecting a side track. I went back to the ship and reported to my Asian
Indian daughter, Ningrella who gave me two Bible study, and she didn’t
like to get involved.

I found a free WiFi connection on the shopping center of the pier. I
Answered my e-mails and listening to You tube music for two hours
without any interruption.

No comments: