Sunday, December 2, 2018

Cocktail seminar on board/Carlos Pueblo


Cocktail seminar on board/Carlos Pueblo

Cruise activity includes a wine testing and cocktail testing programs
on a sailing at sea. I felt interested on my previous cruise trip with
this ship with a head mixologist, Walter Mendoza of Argentina, whom
I still remember his name. This trip that he is gone and replaced by
another manager, Allan Garcia of Philippine and holds the seminar
on Gatsby’s Bar on Deck 6 Mid-ship only. He starts with the Martini
with the main alcohol Gin with additive Dry Vermouth, than followed
with a separate seminar with another strong liquor like Rum, Vodka,
Tequila, and Whisky etc. with a different name. They both explain the
history of the drink and how to prepare it such as the mix ration,
lemon or orange peel, squeeze olive oil, and a white olive finally. I
have heard so much for so long without even have a taste of it. This
kind of seminar will make me to understand better of the western
drinking culture.

The Martini test drinking is extra and that is why I don’t participate but
sit in listening. You pay about $20 for six drinks with one kind at a time
and Allan will give you extra one or two for your favorite. He says that
is based on the mood of his bartender behind the counter. Some of the
drink is required for shaking very hard with ice cubes inside a tube
container which will make the liquor get into the ice according to what
he says. After two drinks, the participants get warm up and the seminar
gets more lively. He sends his bartender to give me a glass of sample
and I am appreciated. I have been so frugal that I hate to pay for a drink.
My cruise trip is covered with three free drinks, a bottle of red wine and
sparking champagne, and two limited time red wine party, latitude and
dine with executive officers. Those are plenty for me to consume.

At home, I occasionally purchase beers in case of a good meal such as
crabs dinner and there are more people eating crabs now a day and we
don’t get a good deal or I can down grade to crawfishes. I have never had
an opportunity to order a glass of Martini during my working tenure because
I don’t know about it. Each time I always end up with a beer or red wine. I
feel very sorry for myself especially I have lost my opportunity to impress
young ladies with cocktail drink in my life time.

I am used to the straight shot drinking which is still very popular for some
drinkers like my deceased father. I think that I have inherited his sea volume
of capacity, means that I can really drink, yet I have restrict myself for my
health. He died of stroke at age 65 and I believed it was drinking related.

No comments: