Sunday, December 23, 2018

My adopted daughter from Taiwan/Carlos Pueblo


My adopted daughter from Taiwan/Carlos Pueblo

Shing is my adopted daughter from Taiwan, as a matter of fact that
she is the first Taiwanese staff whom I meet on board. She was at
the atrium bar area to greet the new passengers, an assignment for
her department, cruise activity directors. I lost her for my first two
weeks on board due to her assignment on Deck 12 for the kids and
the poolside activity and until the second back 9 days. She is a very
attractive, young, good manners, and courtesy person like all the
ship employees. She lives in Taipei, the capital city of Taiwan where
I was from. I sat behind her and her colleague one day afternoon on a
shuttle bus from the downtown, St. Kitts to the pier and I didn’t bother
her at all.

I am always wondering why Taiwanese youngsters would not look for
the opportunity on board. Of course, I understand that with the same
qualification, they may find a better pay jobs in Taiwan; however, as
my understanding, Taiwanese TV talk shows indicate NT$ 22K monthly
for fresh college graduates if they are lucky to be employed. NT$22K is
about US$700. I believe that the minimum pay on board is higher than
that amount and with room and board plus transportation on contract
break, etc.

There is only one exception with a strict Hawaiian labor law enforced
that cruise ships sail on Hawaiian sea must be domestic employee.
That means U.S. labor laws applied and also employee fringe benefit
and pay, etc. I have been to that ship called, Pride of America and seen
not only green cards employees but also citizen from many States. I
have thought of this ever since I was preparing to come to U.S. For
instance, my salary was equal to US$100 a month back to 1975 as a
full time senior high teacher while my graduate school chemistry department
provided me a part time teaching assistantship for US$375 per month.
A foreign labor works in Taiwan gets US$1000 per month less 10% fee or
commission to the agency.

This is why I encourage Taiwanese youngsters get out of Taiwan to find job
opportunity. Working on cruise ships is also a training like a military service
experience, cruise ship likes naval vessel and the officers even wear naval
uniforms.  

No comments: