Thursday, December 20, 2018

Visiting Castries, St. Lucia/Carlos Pueblo


Visiting Castries, St. Lucia/Carlos Pueblo

Castries is the Capital of St. Lucia Island, a big city of the Caribbean of
174,000 population. This back to back made me to visit the city twice and
I went to the old section of the city, the market, and took some pictures
of the local produce which reminded me some of the good memory of my
childhood in Taiwan, two of them, sugar apple and soursop or guyabano.

Lizzet, my Peruvian daughter on board, saw me walking toward a ferry and
actually I went to a wrong exit, a more complicate one with one way revolving
tube gate. She was going to a beach for some sunshine and met her boy friend
from a sister ship, Breakaway. The aged old town and market is still very alive
indeed. There were some visitors from ships curiously inspecting all produce
on the stores or grounds. Visiting the old market is one of my favorite on any
trips outside of home. I didn’t go further to another side of the city, a modern
one, for a visit, instead I returned to the ship. I was stop at the one way exit
gate and stopped for a drink of beer in order to get WiFi connected.

A friendly local chatted with me when he learned that I was from Taiwan. He
marries a Taiwanese wife here at St. Lucia. She is in Taipei now expecting for
the second child’s birth. I forgot what he told me about his job, yet he did
mention to purchase a ferry to do business here on the pier.

Breakaway was disembark next to us on the pier. In late September, I was
in the U.K. waiting to get on Jade to cross the Atlantic back to Miami. Jade
was fully booked and I attempted to wait for my opportunity to board on
Breakaway in Copenhagen, Denmark in early October; however, the cruise
quote was based on British currency and more expensive. I didn’t dare to
wait any longer in England and hopped on a last economic flight back to
Texas. I saw Breakaway eventually at St. Lucia pier.


No comments: