Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Visiting Georgetown, Grand Cayman Island/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Georgetown, Grand Cayman Island/Carlos Pueblo

The cruise ship routed through the straight between Cuba and Hatti from Miami
, Florida to Ocho Rios, Jamaica, then turned northwest to Georgetown, Grand
Cayman Island, and southeastward toward the Netherlandish Antilles, Aruba,
Curacao, and Bonaire. Now I am very clear of the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico
, and the great Atlantic Ocean. Columbus discovered America in 1492, the Spaniard
dominated this new world for quite some time even reached to Texas and Colorado
and beyond. Spanish ships moved all goods from the new world back to Spain through
Caribbean and caught eyes of the other European individual maritime powers in form
of piracy to rob the Spaniard cargo ships. I learned this from Professor Jim Drummond
on my Sun’s route to South America. Then a Queen of England, Elizabeth I, gathered
these pirates to be her navy and defeated the Spanish Armada in 1588. After the European
Industrial Revolution, steam combustion engine power ship came to competition on the sea.
Caribbean became a battleground and other European power nations gradually took over
the old Spanish colony and the U.S. joined the final push to end the Spanish Empire in 1898.
During this period, 1588-1837 roughly, the European moved African native to the Caribbean
to  have the famous slave trade, Spanish slave trade, British slave trade, French slave trade,
and Dutch slave trade, etc. Emancipation in Jamaica was in 1837 while in the U.S. was in 1860
, and I came to this route to feel the old history of a mankind and a new face of problem
derived from the old, poverty existed in the current world. I cannot do anything yet I can at least
show my concern, a meaningful of life indeed.

This Georgetown is more colorful than the previous stop. As usual habit, I walked toward the
right direction passing through the open market of gift and souvenir. The beach water is clear
and there are pretty roasters roaming around the bushes and I feel that the town is better off
already because they don’t bother these chicken at all. It means that the protein is plenty for
everyone so that they leave animals alone. I humbly asked a museum clerk my urgent question  
and this well learned lady knew the question in advance because every passengers asked the
same question that what was the reason of the better off, in one day we stayed in two different
world, the first world and the third world. She said because that Jamaican fight for independence while the Cayman islanders selected to stay with the Great Britain. Felicia, my
Jamaican neighbor, disagreed.

The second stop was an art gallery and luckily I ran into another well learned lady to discuss
such subject, I realize that there is a good school system provided for the citizen, they are
well educated, the first step toward better off. We also discussed the roaming chicken that
I compared it with the fighting cook at Kawaii Island of Hawaii. She says that Cayman one has
no toughness issue as the Hawaiian describe.

I saw fresh fish stand on a roadside near a scuba diving school. I was attracted to the red snapper which looked very delicious to think of Sushi and Sashimi at Jasmine on board.





No comments: