Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Sushi making demonstration/Carlos Pueblo

Sushi making demonstration/Carlos Pueblo

Chef Argelito san invited me to attend the Sushi making demonstration on
a sea day at the Deck 7 Atrium in front of Java Café. It was full of audient
even up to Deck 8 O’Sheehan’s. Jasmine’s sushi chef Leo san demonstrated
while Argelito explained, both of them with more than 10 year experience
and certified in the trade from Manila’s Japanese restaurants. I got to know
Argelito on last trip across Atlantic behind the scene tour under at the kitchen
And he was the explaining chef on duty. I asked him about the roast pig head.
He is on duty this time circling around restaurants everywhere. Jade authority
put up an effort to make the demonstration attractive.

Leo san, step by step, made up to 8 different kinds of sushi rolls based on your taste
Ad Argelito explained. He also prepared a whole bunch sushi in his kitchen and
brought to the demonstration table to serve to the audient later. I was sitting right
in front of them and a young gentleman from Chicago joined me at the front. He eats
sushi often in Chicago. He kind of questioned how fresh the fish after a long journey.
I said in confidence with our Houston own Sysco quality and strictly requirement of
Sushi restaurant. I even mentioned how fresh the cilantro piece appeared on top of
my spicy udon. The ship was made in Germany.

At the end of the demonstration, everyone stood up and ready to taste the delicious
Sushi and Sashimi. Leo san handed me a small plate with several pieces of Sake- salmon,
, Akami-dark red color tuna, king crab cake, shrimp, and I thought of Hamachi-yellow tail
one piece. I grasped the plate and ran like a homeless dog directly to my state room on
Deck 4, then found out no soy sauce to mix with the Wasabi- mustard. I went up to the Café
step by step up to Deck 12. Later, Argelito san learned it and smiled to indicate that I should
just come back to Atrium to get it. I couldn’t resist to ask him and the young man from Chicago
later ran into at Carucao street corner about the whole sushi prepared because at a dinner,
a newly met Louisa mentioning some left over that day at the demonstration. Both of them
denied that there was any left over and all gone. I felt much better because last time cross
Atlantic we didn’t get much but plain sushi with cucumber.

I asked Argelito about the raw fish price and he told me that there was a significant change
on the supply for the cruise industry, mainly the Sysco could break of the Japanese market
manipulation and I should try Jasmine’s sushi bar some time. I don’t deny my frugal and I don’t
dare to try; however, we’re going to Japan very soon for a land trip. Isakeya is what I am going
to try, a small local restaurant provides a small sushi and sashimi combination plus a warm Sake
and cold draft beer.




No comments: