Saturday, December 23, 2017

Discuss drinking coffee/Carlos Pueblo

Discuss drinking coffee/Carlos Pueblo

 I was invited to taste coffee at a yearend coffee shop on Caya B Cores street,
Oranjestad, Aruba. The store owner was betting on the tourists flooding in to
this resort town of the southern Caribbean at the year end. He was doing some
decoration for the new store on the light rail street  near his shop at the corner.
He took me inside and asked two young employees to serve this first guest four
small cups of coffee samples. Both young men were friendly and knowledgeable
of coffee worldwide. I turned to be a coffee drinker not very long ago mostly
making coffee at home two cups a day. My coffee knowledge was mainly from
two lady friends of mine, Mrs. Fan of the old Houstonian and Eugenia of Hong Kong.

Fan had a long neck Aladdin style kettle made in Italy could brew aromatic fragrant
Jamaica coffee. She so claimed that Japanese corporations purchased all Jamaican
produce before reaching the market. She put an effort to have some in her daily
supply. I have since traveled to several nations in the Caribbean Islands trying to
prove what she has stated to me. Most of the Caribbean Islanders don’t know what
I am talking about including the Jamaican at Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I was lucky to meet
these two young clerks at the store. They said yes only from Jamaica.

First of my four sample cups was a coffee from Ethiopia with a citric taste as Eugenia
showed me at a Frankfurt coffee shop in Germany that she indicated African coffee
contained fruit flavors. I don’t know why and how the fruit gene gets mixed with the
African coffee nuts. She advised me not re-brew the coffee bag to avoid unknown
contents inside and I kind of resisted such token because I was frugal. They told me
what I like to hear that was alright because the only difference was the caffeine
concentration. An employee of their shop collected coffee grounds every day home
to re-brew again for drinking.

I spent a lot of my time at Angie’s Java Café which served drink and coffee at the Sun,
another ship of this company. She was from Jade when I met her last year and was
transferred to the Sun for the South American route before moving to the Spirit in
Europe. The cruise liner are moving them around in the world and very hard for me
to follow. Angie was very shy and not talkative at all yet she could make cappuccino
with the machine beautifully. She guessed that I drank expresso and as a matter of
fact, the coffee Americano. I missed Angie very much.

I pointed it out that the Sun’s coffee shop was larger than Jade. The bartender said
that was because there was only one coffee machine on Jade while the Sun contained
two. That was last September, this time Jade replaced the old solo machine with a

brand new coffee machine.

No comments: