Monday, September 21, 2015

Leg bone bamboo shoot soup/ Carlos Pueblo

Leg bone bamboo shoot soup/ Carlos Pueblo

It is very difficult to buy fresh bamboo shoots of any kinds in Houston
supermarket; however, the other day, I did have a bag of salad use
bamboo shoot for  $3 for a leg bone bamboo shoot soup, one of my
favorite. A small bag of leg bone for $1.10  a pound. What I do with the
cooking is very simple Taiwanese way much simpler than treat the pork
kidney as I have described before. Hot pan to have a flavor of green onion
and ginger root, then place the bone into the hot pan to cover the odor
and boil the pot with slice bamboo shoot for more than an hour. Add
salt and hondashi  up to your own taste. Hondashi is a Japanese ingredient
of dry fish of bonito.

This shop is very common bawl of Taiwanese food stand for commoners
such as people without a kitchen at home. There is  a big portion of
Taiwanese population practice such eatery every day and it is very common
for a family dining menu during bamboo shoot season. I have had a good
memory of such experience  while residing in Taipei, Taiwan as a student.

We call this kind of eating at a food stand as a meal of a Lo Han, a kind of
Buddhist monk. Buddhist monk Lo Han must beg food down to the street
to be survived for his self- discipline in order to reach nevarna, an external
paradise. My late mother always teases me that I like to eat as a Lo Han
foot and not prefer to eat at home.

After these years in Houston, I really miss Bamboo shoot soup. I have been
back to Huwei, Taiwan many times looking for the soup. My host family
have attempted to buy the fresh bamboo shoot without any success, instead
I do have some other favorite soups, such as various kinds of fish head. I must

admit it most of the fault is on myself due to my vegan diet.  

No comments: