Sunday, September 13, 2015

Growing tomato/ Carlos Pueblo

Growing tomato/ Carlos Pueblo
The weather is getting cooler nowadays and some rain shower along with
it. I ask my neighbor whether it is the time for me to grow tomato. I may
get this coming 90 days for a suitable climate, 74 degree or below, to have
some harvest. I clean 6 small pots for the tomato seed beds and also put
some other seeds, cucumber, bell pepper, green bean etc. I had had those
free seeds when I visited Lancaster, PA last spring. It has not been successful
for me to grow tomato for a long time ever since 1977 when I was at Auburn,
AL.

I am hoping after I return from my plan trip to Europe, I shall run into the plant
to bear fruit; however, I may not make it for the trip, yet I can pay more attention
to the transferring plant and routine care of the garden. The falling tree branches
this year opens up some sunshine for a small part of my back yard; therefore, I
do have some harvest for a kind of Taiwanese squash, pretty yellow flower with
a long strip of fruit. I shall pull off the dead vine of the squash when tomato plants
come out and ready to be transfer and I shall place them at the same lot which is
the only space for my garden.

I don’t quite get used to the expanse of tomato in the U.S. super market. We take
tomato as a regular fruit, of course, American eat tomato as a salad with dressing.
In Taiwan, especially in the southern part, you can order a plate of ripe tomato in
a fruits shop with a special prepared thick soy sauce and sweet dry plum powder
for a date with your sweet heart. It is very romantic and not expansive at all at that
time, I say in the 60’s or 70’s, while I had had a very good memory. Recently I run
into some improved cherry tomatoes in Taiwan with very impressed sweetness.
I also saw some good tomatoes in Spain and Italy. Italian utilize many tomatoes in
their cuisine.

In 1976 at Auburn, Alabama, I grew 400 tomatoes successful on the campus. Since
Then, I have tried many times to grow and failed due to the hot weather in Houston,
Texas. The neighbor whom I mentioned at the beginning grows tomatoes in a big pot
and always successfully. I think that 74 degree temperature is vital for the success.
At the end of January next year, I shall make another attempt to grow tomato for the
spring season.



No comments: