Thursday, June 18, 2020

Waiting for a melon to be ripe/Carlos Pueblo

Waiting for a melon to be ripe/Carlos Pueblo

It is a time for me to watch my first Korean melon to be ripe on the vine inside a dog cage. I am closely monitoring how the fruit growth, changing color, and even checking on the Google to be sure how many days can it be. At least I know that I can smell it or I can wait till it is dropped to the ground. It is the life that I like, no stress and on schedule every day.

I even count how many more fruits are following after this first one. I was from a rural township with plenty of farming when I was a child. I have always admired the farmer to grow something on his farm. As a matter of fact I like botany at school. It was between 1976-1977 when I had had this kind of excitement at my graduate school Auburn, Alabama. I leased a lot in campus to grow tomatoes and some water melons. I was monitoring the ripe of both at that time as a way to be relax from my research. 

I am so proud of myself, therefore, I have presented my first melon to several of my morning walk lady friends, some of them are good gardeners. From a grain size of female flower to the ripe of melon takes about 30-50 days as some ones post on the Google. I think that I can enjoy the pleasure of monitoring for the rest of the summer. Growing the melon on a pot is not as efficient as growing it on the ground because its root space is limited. Growing the melon under a tree is not as good as the vine under full sunshine. It is also involving the soil and the pollination, etc. I don't get rid of too many young fruits to save the resource for few because the harvest is not in my mind. I like to see that they grow.


The squirrel comes to visit and leave some peanuts buried in the pot. I can see the peanut plant coming out and growing. I shall get the peanut before the squirrel that is another benefit to grow melons and flowers on the same spot. My neighbor feeds the birds and squirrels foods hanging down from the trees. The squirrels takes as many as they want and hide them everywhere and forget to dig them out. Now I see the peanut plant everywhere in the neighboring yards and I am going to pick them if I can. 

No comments: