Monday, June 15, 2020

Enjoy the home grown melon/Carlos Pueblo

Enjoy the home grown melon/Carlos Pueblo

In the spring some seeds sprouts came out on pots in the back yard patio. I transferred young plants into several limited space available on the yard. One of the best performers is the fragrant melon or the Korean melon. The vines are healthy and flowers are plenty. I have had one fruit from a larger pot and is safely locked inside of a dog cage to prevent the squirrel. I also picked up a trash can to gather rain water if there is any. Everyday, I would visit all plants to enjoy the home grown melon
and expecting the green fruit to be turned into golden color.

I know my limit to grow anything in my yard due to huge trees block the needed sun shine. I don't think that I have had the proper soil to grow melons. However, growing something or the yard work is very interesting especially at an old age. Before I have my melon project, I already have mowed the yard and repair some damage parts. I have too much time and even come out of the room to enjoy what I have done on the yard and now I come out more often to view the melon inside the cage and water all plants with the kitchen water.

I proudly show it to my lady neighbor friends what I have done. A senora is an excellent gardener herself advises me to put some fertilizer to improve the result means to enlarge the size of the fruit. I hate to spend additional money for something that is destined for poor performance due to wrong soil, less sun, and limited land or space. Also, fruits cost is not that much if I can get them in the season properly.

I don't see bees coming out to help the pollination yet I do see small fruits coming out under a protected leaf. I count them everyday and there are more than 10 on the vines. I may cover those which I am unable locking inside the cage with paper to fool the squirrel. I did it once last year when I was away on a cruise. I had had a taste of that small melon to help the improvement later.

It is an idea to have a small farm to grow something. I do have a good family friends live on a farm of 40 acres land. They have had a small lot to grown melons and vegetables for their own consumption. I envy them very much. They must use the electricity to pump up water from the well to irrigate the garden and they also use chicken manure to be the fertilizer, very organic as defined.

No comments: