Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Visiting Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada 2019/Carlos Pueblo

After leaving Quebec City for a day at sea, we arrived at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on the 4th day morning. Remember that we skipped the port due  to Hurricane Dorain was on our tail. Prince Edward Island is one of three Canadian maritime provinces on the east and one third of the island's population live here about 150,000 residents. PEI is the name of the province for short, not for the famous deceased architect. Prince Edward is the father of Queen Victoria, fourth son of George III who lost in the American Revolution, his brother George IV is the Prince Reagent of the London Royal Park named after him where my favorite Queen Mary's Rose Garden located. Now, we all know my connected travelling lately.

I disembark at the pier via ship's tender service from the Bay. I walked directly to the old town and asked if Mr. Pei used to work here. One lady resident recognized him as a famous architect yet the signs are for the short abbreviation of the island. I came to an old post of the Canadian National Guard with an old tank which was on duty during WWII. The Canadian royalists devote their patriotism during both world wars to help England. They do keep very good record and has made the post as a armory museum now. From here, I turn into a beautiful coastal park with a marble monument in memory of the Irish immigrants during a ship wreck of hurricane. One of the major crop of this island is potato about one third of Canadian potato crop are from here. At a nice house, the sea coast path is interrupted and I turn toward the city center streets. There is a nursing school with a hospital in front of me.

The downtown buildings are built with many bricks quite classical European style with nice decoration of flowers. I stopped at the corner of the City Hall to enjoy the feeling of greatness, then I continued to march to the rest of the downtown. There were many tourists on that day and I wondered if they were all from Cruise ships. You may have some kind of ferry to carry vehicles to enter this island.

I entered a part of the downtown with a bazzar party going on. Along the street, there are beautiful gift shops, restaurants, and other stores for tourists needs. It was a beautiful day and I was tired and I didn't know the reason why. It might be the back to back was long enough.

No comments: