Sunday, November 3, 2019

Returning visit to Quebec City, Quebec, Canada 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Returning visit to Quebec City, Quebec, Canada 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Hurricane Dorian was weaken substantially behind us while we sailed through the fresh water of the St. Lawrence River to Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. It's it the main reason why I select this cruise back to back because that I like to return to visit Quebec City one more time to see more of the gorgeous city of the world. Once I came to visit Montreal, Quebec, when I was a little bit younger and people advised me hat I should visit Quebec City as well. I did come back for another trip from Boston driving through the Niagara Falls, Toronto, Kingston, Ottawa, and Montreal again by car on the following year. I did make a special driving from Montreal to Quebec City and made it back in a day. I have been very impressed and always like to spend more time to count the cannons on the old city wall. We came in earlier and spent three days and two nights at the pier by the River.

I am always aware of the French speaking city of Quebec City is; however, I don't run into difficulty in the old down section of the city in English speaking. As a matter of fact the locals are very friendly and nice when I pop up one or two sentences in French. The European came to Quebec in around 1602 and the French were dominant and in control of the area called New France until 1760. The decisive battle was fought at the Plains of Abraham near by the old city settlement between France and England. New France since then changed hand; however, the English continued to strengthen the citadel with the cannons defense of the city from the invasion of newly U.S. expedition force until 1812. The U.S. and the British Empire signed a peace treaty. The story of the city has been continued since that time yet under a permanent peaceful settlement among three nations.

A young English army general who lead to fight that decisive war of 1759 in Quebec was also died at the battlefield. English adored him and built a statute on top of the Greenwich Hill by the famous Greenwich Observatory. I have been there to visit him three times and visited his mother's childhood home town Marsden, England on the suburban of Manchester. His name is James Wolfe. He also has a statute at the old Montreal park, Montreal, Canada along with his counterpart at the battlefield Louis-Joseph de Montcalm. Canadian school children learn two different descriptions of the battle on their two different editions of textbooks. At that time, the Europe was not in peace at all.

I marched across a busy street up to the city wall or citadel and found the familiar scenery in my mind, the cannons on the wall facing to the River. I intended to count the total numbers until I read a monument at the urban park on the next day. At the beginning, the French attempted to built 5,000 of them with a financial help of Louis IV, he and the Napoleon Bonaparte both believed big guns. After 1760, the English authority still tried to build up the cannons defense. Now, the city keeps the old cannons in site to beautify the city wall. I saw one site somewhere was under innovation with 14 cannons available to show also facing to the River.

I reached to a huge building like a governmental office with a big lovely garden in front of it and small pots surrounded the building. I think that the building is the assembly house of the Province. Quebec City is the capital city of the Quebec Province. On a side of the Garden, there is a St. Jean Gate directly to the old town streets of Quebec City. At another site of the building on the back, there is a big garden named Joan of Arc to memorize another hero in the 15th century between the endless wars of the two nations. It was donated by anonymous American donor.

I came down from a steep wood board ladder by the Museum to a street by the river. It is very steep and not that comfortable for me to get down while many youngsters are jogging up and down for exercises. From the street, or highway, I walked back to the ship. Along the way, I saw some lovely housing for the residents.

No comments: