Friday, March 1, 2019

Driving my old vehicle to a storm/Carlos Pueblo


Driving my old vehicle to a storm/Carlos Pueblo

Yesterday was a scare while I drove my old vehicle into a storm. I attempted
to visit a city library to check out some Japanese children books for my reading
as my Japanese professor recommended to. It was raining slightly after my
returning home from the class and I got my library card ready and took off
again. No far away from home on the first avenue, heavy rain was pouring
down and the moisture came inside the vehicle coated all parts of window
inside and blocked my view to outside. I did turn on the de-frog devices for the
front and back and it was in vain. Both of my air conditioning and heater units
were broken and there was no way to get rid of the moisture coating inside.

I thought of my previous various defense driving classes to practice the defense
driving in order to get rid of the dangerous situation. I mobbed out of the coating
in the front and left side of the window with a tissue in my pocket and managed
to pull out of the road into an high rise office building parking lot. I thought that I
could wait until the rain to stop. Three vehicles did follow me through the path
that made me feel better for not drive into a wrong way. I changed my mind again
to decide to wait at the library parking lot instead and managed to pull out again
driving to the library. Lucky me that I found the library not far away yet it was
empty and closed. It was during a working day, Thursday 10-6, yet there was a
paper sigh of closure until further notice. When I report this adventure and I found
that closure was due to Hurricane Harvey flood damage and the city was still unable
to rebuild it.

I came out again to the road back home. It is about 4 miles distance and I need to
manage to drive safely and make two turns, one left and one right, and several
traffic lights. I had my emergency light on and drove slowly by looking through
one small clear spot down to the bottom of the windshield. I ran into a full right
lane clog of vehicles after a traffic light. It was because parents came in to pick up
their children after school. I turned off my emergency light and changed to a left
turn light and waited a change of light behind me on an intersection to make sure
nobody’s coming behind me. This is what I say a defense driving.

Now I have learned that this old vehicle is not safe to drive during the heavy rain
condition because no de-frog device to help me to get rid of the moisture accumulate
on the windshield inside. It is not reliable indeed.




No comments: