Friday, October 2, 2020

The old cap and gown pictures/Carlos Pueblo

 

The old cap and gown pictures/Carlos Pueblo

After I join the Line of my college time class mates group, I soon receive several old cap and gown pictures from a classmate. It is very touching that I haven’t seen the pictures for half a century. I was in a hurry to leave Taiwan back to 1975 for a graduate study in the United States. All what I packed in my luggage were cloths and some old text books. I didn’t know that was so difficult to return to Taiwan until 1989. My dad was passed away and my mom had been moved to a different company’s complex. My personal stuff was lost. That return visit was very shot and never mentioned anything about my belonging, of course there were not much as a matter of fact.

At that time, back to the summer of 1971, I was not quite sure that I had enough credit hours to complete my degree. At least, I had to take a summer class to pass one more requirement. However, I did attend the commencement and the picture taking ceremony. After I completed the summer class, I was too late to pass the dead line to be assigned as a teacher for a secondary school teacher; therefore, I applied to be drafted as a regular army to serve up my two year obligation in order to apply for studying abroad. After I came back from the frontier, I continued to serve two years school teaching obligation. It was very stressful back then.

Finally, I left Taiwan in the summer of 1975. Auburn gave me a financial assistant for my graduate study. The stipend was enough to cover my tuition, fee, room and board. I could concentrate to my study. After two years, I left Alabama to Texas to join my elder brother. He has been a very good brother to guide me in every way. My life is better and better every day.

No comments: