Sunday, October 18, 2020

Refreshing my fond memory of Puli, Taiwan/Carlos Pueblo

 

Refreshing my fond memory of Puli, Taiwan/Carlos Pueblo

There are two photos circulating on our college classmates Line about collections of Lin Hsien-tang family at Taichung, Taiwan. One of them is a classical architecture while the other is a piece of furniture. They are so adorable and have many responses from our admiring classmates. I am too that am refreshed my fond memory of my birth township of Puli, Taiwan at the central top of mountains in Taiwan. I was born there and left at the age of ten.

Lin is a famous Taiwanese gentleman during that time of transition, 1881-1954. He was from a wealthy land owner in the central part of Taiwan. He went exile in Japan and deceased in Tokyo. He was the second founder of Chang Hwa commercial bank of Taiwan. He was one of the few survivors of the 228 Massacre in 1947. Christiana posts those two pictures and she is a relative to Lin that her paternal grand aunt is his wife, Lo Shuai-shing.

It is getting very interesting when I refresh my memory. I visited Puli in 1969 for a lunar new year. I stayed at a house of my tennis team mate Lo. After college, Christina has married to Lo. During that stay, he took me to visit her parent’s business at the downtown area. I had had a good chat with her mother. I told my dad about the visit and he mentioned that Lo’s grandfather, Lo Ying-han was the founder of Chang Hwa Bank. Instead, according to the Google search, he was the first mayor appointed at Puli after the War. I believe that they were acquaintance. There is a famous chemistry professor, Lo Dong-bi of the National Taiwan University, is also from the same family.

I have been back to my dream mountain hometown several times since 1969. The last time was in 2008 with two other families. Melanie called Christiana out to meet us. We went to tour the famous Sun Moon Lake and a local temple designed by her father. Later before the sun down, we went up to a hot spring resort of Lushan.

No comments: