Tuesday, October 6, 2020

The cooks comb flower/Carlos Pueblo

 

The cooks comb flower/Carlos Pueblo

Our neighbor Kim has noticed that I have some cooks comb flower plants in the front yard. They are from another neighbor the senora. Kim gave me two boxes of the flower plants to grow. I manage to place them on three spots on the front and back yards. At the end of this summer, I see some of them are blooming even though my plants are much smaller than both of theirs. It is because that I don’t have 14 hours a day sunshine and lack of the fertilizer applied. At least we do see the red crown type of the flower. It is like a rooster’s crown or a Roman Empire Army’s helmet.

The flower is very popular in the rural area of Taiwan. When I was a school child, I used to help my teacher to grow flowers in front of our classroom yard. The cooks comb is one of them. It is very easy to grow in a warmer climate like Taiwan or in Houston. I know that I can’t do anything about our tall trees on the yard; however, I do have plenty of opportunity to enjoy our neighbors’ gardens while I take my morning walk. It is such a joy to view many pretty gardens in the neighborhood.

Our subdivision has a deed of restriction applied to our front yard. We must maintain a regular mowed lawn including edging. Some neighbors even manage to have a nice garden with honor’s pride that I am very impressed. I have had my good lesson from them and I pay more attention to my yards than ever before. It is too late for me to consider having a larger lot without trees; therefore, I can grow something like to have a nice garden. I hate to move and I don’t have time long enough to have that dream filled.

No comments: