Monday, October 26, 2020

My life 50 years after Taiwan Normal University in 1971/Carlos Pueblo

 

My life 50 years after Taiwan Normal University in 1971/Carlos Pueblo

It has been very much different of my life now from 50 years before at the Taiwan Normal University in 1971. I am more mature and move up myself to a middle class income family away from the poverty level previously. I conclude that three reasons are factors to change my life. First, I was eligible to apply for studying abroad after I finished the University. Of course, I had to serve in Taiwanese army for two years and another two years teaching at middle schools. Secondly, after obtaining my master degree in chemistry, I had enough confidence in myself to seek a job in the market. Third, after I lost my job as a chemist, I converted myself to be an insurance agent to earn a living smoothly. After working 23 years, I lost a major contract with an insurance company and had been idle for almost 20 years at home, yet still manage to live along. It has been all because of my no surrender policy which is built in to me during my college and the army service thereafter.

I did have a hard time to finish the college, yet at the graduate school with sufficient financial aid and my frugal nature, I could concentrate my study and get a second degree accordingly. I did go to the third degree program; however, due to age, lack of confidence in chemistry, and the financial desire, I went to work at a laboratory at Houston space center as a chemist. Because I couldn’t get along with my direct supervisor, I was terminated three years later. At that time, I just got married for half a year. I immediately jump into a total different carrier. I sell insurance and real estate. I did prepare both permits as my part time business before I was fired. It is all because the encouragement of my able elder brother who is also living in Houston as an engineer.

I work very hard to establish my new career. I helped my brother-in-law to purchase 5 rental houses and managed them while he was in Taiwan. Before I was married, I had already purchased two new houses for rent with 5% down payment and two big mortgages. Insurance business started very well and I could see my income improved dramatically. Very soon, I added on the security business into my job menu to understand a little better of the finance. After 12 years, I was terminated by the first insurance company, and the second one after 10 years. I was very fatigue. I thought of teaching and prepared for the alternative certificate as a secondary school teacher. I did teach at a senior high school for two months and was terminated due to the failure of the class management. I tried to come back in insurance and got fired after 6 months with the third insurance company. I terminated the fourth insurance company after 6 months try out due to lack of business. Recently, the fifth insurance company terminates my 20 years producing contract. For the time being, I still have two governmental programs to maintain some fire and flood insurance in my book; however, the income is diminished.

I like to discuss my current income which is more vivid and interesting. First, I have been getting the social security payment for almost 11 years. Second, I give a mortgage to my daughter for her rental house for 10 years which is about the end of my life. Third, I am on the requirement minimum distribution of my pension funds. Fourth, I still have a residual renewal income from both of the fire and flood companies. All portfolio is in major cap growth stocks and funds and gains and dividends are all reinvested.

 

No comments: