Sunday, February 10, 2019

Language classes on board/Carlos Pueblo


Language classes on board/Carlos Pueblo

One of my interests to cruise is the language class on board provided
by the cruise director’s staff. It gets me started and continued by my
daughters from Philippine and some male Indonesian staff on board.
I keep their notes along with the handouts from classes to my trips and
practice them whenever I can. Now, I can handle some basic greetings
on both Tagalog and Malays on board especially at the end of the trip.
There are four basic language classes offered by the cruise staff, the
Mandarin, Tagalog, Portuguese, and Afrikkans. Learning foreign language
has become my life time hobby which making my senior life time occupied.
I have had a good command of my native tongue Amoy, Mandarin Kanji
and English followed, and now I may have a small breakthrough of
Japanese and Spanish after several attempts more than 15 years.

I walked into a Brazilian Portuguese class right after a latitudes drinking
party on the first sea day afternoon. The instructor was on the page of
instruction of 1492 and mentioning the Pope divided the American into
two, Spanish and Portugal. I didn’t catch very much; however, I did keep
his notes. My daughter Christine at O’sheenhan’s reminded me the Taglog
classes and I was the only student on the lesson 2 class. Taglog has some
influence from Spanish as I notice and I am very sure that I’ll make good
progress.

There are about 10 million Afrikaans speakers in South African nations in
total. It is the third large language in that country. Afrikaans is a language
derived from 1600 Dutch language. I learned Boer War when I was at the
study of Dr. Sun Yat-sen’s speeches and later in the 90’s when I read the
story of Cecil Rhode. Now, I know that many parts of South African territory
have adopted such language in practice. Two of my daughters on board
reinforce me some greeting after the class. I am getting into German language
system now such as Dutch, current day Prussian German, and English, etc.
It is amazing.

I always feel interest of the human movement or immigration around the
world by the tract of language similarity. My Japanese professor Nagamoto
mentioned that Japanese language was from Asian Hindu which I should
discuss more about it with him, the proof. I am not in argument yet I can’t
let my interest of learning language skid away from me.


No comments: